sfiera

Sfiera’s Conquests

2020-01-01.jpg.5b1c6e3ff8165e913001fb7f4da9f436.jpg

Plus (4 MHz): in a 512k case. Have a SCSI2SD for it, though I’d like to be able to use it just on floppies. Also have a second in parts.

TAM (250 MHz): just purchased, and coincidentally arrived on Christmas. Fat back with USB, but missing its keyboard and everything not pictured.

Cube (450 MHz): I’ve had this 3 years this month; everything else is recent. Ran a livestream from it a few months ago.

Q700 (25 MHz): jack of all trades. 040 for 68k and a PowerPC upgrade card. It can do LocalTalk, EtherTalk, and IP.

Also pictured: a Raspberry Pi 4 behind the router that’s faster than all of them combined (1.5Ghz) and two unibody Mac Minis in the lower left, 2010 and 2012. I’m ready to call the 2010 one “vintage” but not the 2012 one.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more trackballs.

IMG_20200127_192852_MP.thumb.jpg.92c8947f68c0ced2df79e95e3a9dac20.jpg

Haven’t tested either yet, but the Pippin/ADB controllers (a pair of them) appear to be unused.

Even more impressive to me is the attention they paid to the DB-9 plug, which would normally be hidden behind the computer:

IMG_20200128_215600_MP.thumb.jpg.621edd61f8557a118031166328d49b2a.jpg

(though I am a little disappointed that the ends of the pins don’t have Assimilation Process logos like the Apple pins do)

I saw it in your thread, liked it, and then saw one for sale just a couple days later and couldn’t resist. Unfortunately, I only have a Plus keyboard, and two numpads is two more than I have a need for, but it’s still kind of neat that it’s both.

1 hour ago, sfiera said:

the ends of the pins don’t have Assimilation Process logos like the Apple pins do

For one mad moment I thought you meant the actual connector pins and was simultaneously in awe and terrified of that level of obsessiveness, and was disappointed when I saw what you meant...

I have one of these track balls.  You'd never know it wasn't Apple.  They did a great job.

Edit:  Hehe.  Those old "I can't believe it's not butter!" commercials just popped into my head.

Edited by olePigeon

21 minutes ago, olePigeon said:

You'd never know it wasn't Apple

"Dogs don't know it's not bacon!"

Sifera, now you just need to go on the white whale hunt for a PiP P!N console ;) I never looked into it, but are there MacOS drivers for the controllers or do they only work correctly on the console?

On 1/1/2020 at 5:21 AM, sfiera said:

Oh yeah, and the SCSI2SD is Hello Kitty-powered:

IMG_20200101_194825.thumb.jpg.3f67ac6123837e9cd36fe0f1e13f636d.jpg

Isn't that like required by law or something over there? :D

5 hours ago, jessenator said:

Sifera, now you just need to go on the white whale hunt for a PiP P!N console ;) I never looked into it, but are there MacOS drivers for the controllers or do they only work correctly on the console?

Pippins don’t seem to be difficult to find in Japan, though my interest level and tolerance for a non-working machine haven’t matched the price point of anything I’ve seen.

This is in fact an Atmark Controller For Macintosh. Comes with drivers on a floppy disk (still sealed, but I’ll take an image and share when I open it). The connector is not the Pippin Apple Jack connector, but a regular ADB connector. Curiously, the connector omits the power pin, which sort of makes sense, but I haven’t seen that on other ADB devices (like Apple mice).

Atmark Controller For Macintosh. Box, controller, floppy disk, and documentation.Atmark Controller For Macintosh. ADB connector with missing power pin.