cheesestraws

Developing a portable user-land AppleTalk stack

A quick update on this: I've been working on EtherTalk.  So far I've got a "listener" (an implementation of layer2) based on libpcap.  Another one will follow at some point based on tap interfaces, and I'd like to do one for BasiliskII's UDP Appletalk network too (which is basically EtherTalk with some weird hacks around it).  I've also got about half of AARP implemented.  Next stop is getting address acquisition for EtherTalk working.

Another quick update on this: I've submitted the LToUDP patches to Paul C Pratt for inclusion in "stock" Mini vMac.  How much he'll want me to change, we shall see.  I haven't had much time or serenity to work on non-work code, because my house has been full of visitors and is now full of people replacing my bathroom and this is wearing my nerves rather.

The next bit I think needs me to finish my rackmount LC II, which is going to be my AppleTalk router, but will also allow me to do interop testing with EtherTalk with things other than BasiliskII.  That's my first post-bathroom-chaos project...

Brilliant! And nice to see someone working on something significant for retro Macs also over here in the UK. Keep up the good work! :D

Another quick update on this: the builders have now left but my mental health is extremely poor, which is making working on software outside of work rather tricky.  I haven't abandoned this, though.

The good news is that the Mini vMac LToUDP support is in the current alpha of Mini vMac, and looks like it is going to work on Linux too.

More will come when I am actually able to concentrate again.  Watch this space...

Hmmmmmmmm

Tried to run the latest Alpha (2 times) on Windows computer..but the two doesn't seem to "see" each other. Tried it some time ago on Macos and it worked. Is there no LocalTalk on Windows?

I don't think it's working on Windows.  My code certainly doesn't do Windows.

There's no particular reason why it can't (it's just standard socket code), I just don't have a Windows machine set up for development at present.

Anyone who does Windows development and wants a pretty easy win, this would be a good target :-).

It is absolutely dead standard socket code, so yeah.  When I get my house in order (both literally and metaphorically) I will try to have a go with it with my old Windows dev machine, if nobody else has picked it up by then.

This how it looks on our MacBook.

One Mini vMac on system 7.5.5 has file sharing and one on System 6.0.8 with Appletalk. Disk Mac is mounted on the desktop of the system 6 Mini vMac.

IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.e22099bc17201aee48bcf407443823c9.JPG