Forums

1. Important Information

1. The 68kMLA Forum Rules   (10128 visits to this link)

To quote vintage Apple manuals: "Read Me First!"

2. Community Connections

1. General 68kMLA News & Stuff

What's going down in the barracks.

Discuss your latest vintage Mac finds!

Feel free to trade all of your Mac goodies here with all honest intentions. The website provider assumes NO liability, so buyer beware! Please see this topic for more information.

1. RetroChallenge

What can you do given only one month and strictly "retro" hardware? Find out with RetroChallenge!
      http://retrochallenge.org/

The creation and maintenance of the 68kMLA's information repository.
      http://68kmla.org/wiki/

1. Compact Mac

Macintosh, 512k, SE, etc.

Just think, having a Quadra 950 in 1992 would be like having a Mac Pro today… except with more slots, more expandability, and on-board SCSI!

Ah, the consumer computers!

From the Portable to the 190cs.

1. NuBus Power Mac, LC & Performa

The NuBus architecture gets a new brain!

The PPC comes of age and adopts the industry standard expansion slot.

From the Beige G3 to the quad-core G5, via various iMacs!

All that power in a laptop? Never…

1. Apple I, ][, /// & Lisa

Not really 68k Macs, but certainly Vintage!

The best PDA ever finally gets its own forum!

Includes system stuff, productivity, emulation, design, and games for pre-OS X Macs!

Yes, it's back! Hardware hacks/modifications and software development for Mac OS.

Anything you can hook up to your Mac or stuff into it as an interface!

• I wouldn't think too hard about it. I've seen bodge used in this context several times, even in scenarios where a thing was done well but it's obvious that the repair isn't ideal and/or the need for the repair isn't ideal.   Once tolerances and timings tightened up enough, this kind of fix became unworkable/unreliable and so in relation to the way a faulty board might be tossed or reworked today (or even, IDK, in 1998) I'd say "bodge" is fair. The practice was normal, but it arguably wasn't the best possible repair, it just happened to be good enough and professionally installed and secured.   Due to increasing speeds and decreasing timing tolerances, "factory rework" had to change a lot through the course of the '90s, which is almost certainly why we don't see this kind of fix on significantly newer machines.
    • Just curious, no criticism implied:   Bodge (To do a clumsy or inelegant job, usually as a temporary repair; mend, patch up, repair.) has the wrong connotations for factory rework, which is very different today. It was an accepted industry practice some 30 years ago. PCB costs were high and skilled labor for testing and doing such fixes to 10mil/5mil tech PCBs was available and relatively inexpensive. While not elegant, rework patch wiring was done to a high standard as a permanent solution for design flaws, batch production glitches and individual boards that failed testing. The trace fixes we regularly do today "to mend, patch, repair" our damaged boards would not be considered bodge wires if done in a workmanlike manner, while fugly fixes would.    Are the connotations a bit different in the Netherlands? Very curious about that. Wictionary: Middle Dutch botsen, butsen, boetsen (“to repair, patch”)    
    • It's not that bad a throughput, given that you've got two sets of encapsulation and very small packets going on.  How fast do you get over AFP/DDP?
    • Hmm, that's weird.   I don't know much about this, but I think I've read in passing (while attempting to solve other problems) that symptoms like this can be indicative of either failed resistors or diodes somewhere in the affected circuit.   I guess you could check for burnt R's and D's and replace any that you find?  It could be as simple as a broken solder joint too, so check any connections for continuity while your at it.
        c
    • Isn't that why we all use these archaic machines?   This is a painfully slow method of moving files, about 3 minutes a Mb. I guess it would still be faster than writing a Mb to a floppy and then loading the floppy into another machine. It's slow enough that the SE/30 is able to be used for light games while the transfer is happening, though it hanged when I tried to pay a second game of Spades.   I have a few options for sneaker net, but for moving a file or two, this will likely work good enough until I find the SCSI to ethernet bridge. I don't know for certain the accelerator works, so I don't want to dump a bunch of money into this idea just yet. I figure this solution can also be used with my Plus and a Powerbook 165, possibly all at the same time if I get enough phonenet adapters.   J White