Shymon184

What’s the voltage of hard disk power cable in Mac Color Classic?

The quantum hard disk in my color classic died, so I bought a SCSI2SD and was reading some information about it on codesrc.com and there was written that SCSI2SD needs to run on 5V or else the board would break.

Internal SCSI bus should power it on most machines. It uses 5V to run. What you DONT want is to accidentally use the 12v line to power it...that will break it.

To be even clearer: the really important thing is not accidentally to put 12v onto the 5v line.  Hard disc power wiring carries both 12 and 5v on different wires, and if you're using pre-made cabling (like the cabling already inside your computer) all should be fine.  It's only if you're building your own power cabling you really need to be careful not to put 12v in the wrong place, because then the magic smoke comes out.

That said, as @LaPorta said, the SCSI2SD should just be powered by the SCSI bus most of the time, so you don't even need to connect a separate power cable to it to get it to work, just the SCSI ribbon cable.

15 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

To be even clearer: the really important thing is not accidentally to put 12v onto the 5v line.  Hard disc power wiring carries both 12 and 5v on different wires, and if you're using pre-made cabling (like the cabling already inside your computer) all should be fine.  It's only if you're building your own power cabling you really need to be careful not to put 12v in the wrong place, because then the magic smoke comes out.

That said, as @LaPorta said, the SCSI2SD should just be powered by the SCSI bus most of the time, so you don't even need to connect a separate power cable to it to get it to work, just the SCSI ribbon cable.

Ok, I’m just asking because the recommended voltage on the quantum hard disk was 5V/12V and I didn’t know the voltage of the internal molex power cable, y’know, I just don’t want to burn the circuit on SCSI2SD, but everything is fine since you said that pre-made power cables in the color classic will work.