Mansen

Having trouble burning a bootable Tiger disc for my G5 iMac

Hey folks. New guy here.

Bought a G5 iMac to replace my aging and rather bulky G3 "Aquarium", but I'm having some trouble getting it ready for primetime.

TLDR; I download and burned a Tiger 10.4 install disc (From Macintoshgarden, and using AnyBurn on my Windows PC), but I can't for the life of me get the Mac to boot from it. It shows up in OSX on the Mac using the old HDD (I am attempting to swap to a new SSD for longevity)

I've been hard at googling troubleshooting all evening, but it would appear that the disc I burned simply isn't recognized as bootable. Does anyone know a surefire way to burn the DMG archives that Macintoshgarden offer, or have an alternative? I only have Windows atm, so no MacOS based solutions available. :(

A number of the images I've downloaded of various MacOSes over the years, from the garden and other places, have turned out to be just the data partition, not any of the other stuff that makes the whole thing bootable and magical. 

A lot of imaging tools don't seem to do the right thing when aimed at a Mac bootable disc, IME, and a lot of people who like making images don't seem to know that you need to be careful, or forget. (I have forgotten myself when imaging my MacOS discs and ended up with dud ones)

Right - So we're all pretty much in agreement that it's either a bad image, or a bad burn.

Does anyone know a good image that'll install on a "blank" iMac G5, and what tools to use (preferably on Windows, since borrowing a Mac for this is going to take a while). I don't know the exact model - It's 24" from corner to corner (of the actual Mac, not just the LCD) and it currently has a 160GB Drive mounted with an Apple Logo. I can pop the 160GB back in to get more exact specs if needed, but the OS is acting very weird (I initially tried to just roll with it, but I can't launch most apps like Toast to unpack anything)

I seem to remember the 10.4 Server *CD* ISOs from the Garden worked for me, but that was quite a while ago.  Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of the world from my known-good 10.4 discs/images. :-(

If you can use a straight, 10.4.0 retail installation, then I can image my originals for you. I waited outside the Apple Store in 2004 on line for it, so I know it’s legit.

Edited by LaPorta

You should determine exactly what model you have to understand exactly what OS it will run.

(Early models needs minimum 10.3.5 and the later model needs 10.4.2. They should all run 10.5.x)

There are several websites that will decode the serial number and tell you the model.

SN is w88491fxpp8 , which according to EveryMac is a 20" 1.8Ghz PPC 970 (A1076/EMC2008 model.

As far as I can tell this model shipped with 10.3.5 Panther - at least according to EveryMac.

(Seems like I can't edit posts after a short while - Excuse the semi spam)

Edited by Mansen

21 minutes ago, MOS8_030 said:

Probably not your problem, but there are versions of 10.4.x that are Intel-only and PPC only, just a thought.

All retail copies of 10.4.x were PPC-only (except for Server, which was universal). Intel-only-ness is only an issue where OEM install/restore disks are involved.

c

Hmm... Haven't moved large files in a while. I imagine something like uploading it to Mega.nz or using a Google folder is a way to go.

LaPorta sent me a .cdr format image that when burned with Imgburn in Windows....ACTUALLY BOOTED. :)

One step closer to getting it up and running, and then setting Classic Mode up with all of my games.

Success! At least for now :lc:

Took a while to get the OS installed, but it finished late last night. Got to work on moving over all of my old games from my G3 in the meantime... which takes quite a while over USB1? I even managed to give the G5 a nice upgrade - Found two brand new 1GB sticks in the back of the place I work at, and swapped the 160GB HDD for an SSD.

Huge thanks to everyone who chirped in.

https://imgur.com/a/I10dlrZ

I'm glad to see that it worked! I really think a lot of the time the trick is to just make the master images on a Mac with Disk Utility and everything will be copied.