Sign in to follow this  
dcr

Monitor on PowerMac 8600

The photo below is what the monitor screen looks like on my PowerMac 8600.

Can anyone tell if that loos like an issue with the monitor itself or would it be with the PowerMac's video circuitry?  Aside from not being able to make sense of the display, the computer appears to be working fine otherwise.  (It's a server.)

Of course, the easiest way to tell would be to try a different display on it, but where this PowerMac is located does not make that process easy.  And if I need to go through all I need to to get at it, and if it's not the monitor, well, then I'd like to have the parts on hand to fix the PowerMac's video circuitry (capacitors?) so I can go ahead and fix it one way or the other.

Thanks!

photo-cropped.jpg

Did you turn this computer on with a different monitor (or no monitor) and then attach this monitor?

If so: connect the other monitor back. This looks like a Macintosh Color Display 14-inch (M1212 IIRC) and those are a fixed-sync 640x480@67 display. This looks like what happens when the video port is outputting a signal this display can't use.

Or, if you haven't yet: shut the machine down, then connect the monitor, and turn it back on. It should automatically detect that his monitor is there.

1 hour ago, Cory5412 said:

Did you turn this computer on with a different monitor (or no monitor) and then attach this monitor?

I don't think so because I wouldn't have had a reason to, on either point.  It's the same monitor it's had for years.  I remember doing something on it a couple months ago and the screen was fine but the last time I used it, maybe a month ago, the screen was as shown in the photo.

It runs as a server 24/7 and I only turn the monitor on when I need to do something on it.  But I don't disconnect the monitor at all.  Just use the power button.  And that's worked without issue for years.

This looks like a Macintosh Color Display 14-inch (M1212 IIRC) and those are a fixed-sync 640x480@67 display. This looks like what happens when the video port is outputting a signal this display can't use.

Pretty sure it is a 14" display.  And I don't think I've ever even tried anything other than 640x480 on it.

And I'm pretty sure all the monitors on the desk nearby that I might have used with it are all 640x480, but I don't recall trying to swap out monitors because I can't think of a reason why I would have and also because the way the machine is situated, it is a royal pain to even try.

Or, if you haven't yet: shut the machine down, then connect the monitor, and turn it back on. It should automatically detect that his monitor is there.

I have rebooted it to no effect.  I am pretty sure I also tried shutting it down and then restarting, but I'll try that again this evening just to be sure.

Hm. yeah, that's a bummer then. It really could be either.

You'd know right away if you connected another monitor to the 8600 or that monitor to another machine.

If you end up finding that the monitor works fine on another system, the first thing I'd do is pop out the VRAM SIMMs if you have any installed and then reinstall them, perhaps dusting or cleaning the simms and sockets when you do, just to see if it's something you can repair with maintenance instead of having to do a recap or replace a component.