Sign in to follow this  
olePigeon

Rodime 45 Plus

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rodime-Systems-45-Plus-External-Hard-Drive-powers-on-with-Users-guides-/254418517714

Was the only bidder on this little nugget.  Came with all the user manuals, too, but no software.  I think it's online.  I wanted to use the Rodime software because when you erase the drive with it, it uses a nifty Rodime logo HDD icon.

It's in immaculate physical condition, not a scratch.  I was really worried when it arrived because it was put in a box with no foam or anything.  I'm surprised it made it in one piece, honestly.  It's advertised as "rugged build quality," so I guess it passed that test.

Plugged it in and, sure enough, it worked. :)  I was a bit surprised with this as well because Rodimes have a reputation for unreliability.  I think I'll do some preventative maintenance on the stepper motor and add a bit of fresh oil.

Only down side is that the owner was (of course) a heavy smoker.  So it just reeks horribly of old cigarette smoke.  Need to give it a deep clean.

It'll look great under my supercharged 512k, which will become my dedicated B&W game machine.

31 minutes ago, olePigeon said:

Only down side is that the owner was (of course) a heavy smoker.  So it just reeks horribly of old cigarette smoke.  Need to give it a deep clean.

If it still has an odor after cleaning it, try sealing it in a box or plastic container with some activated charcoal.

Very cool! Love old hard drives. Isn’t that Rodime logo just awesome?

Are you sure it’s a stepper drive? I thought they were all voice-coil once they got to the 40MB range.

Well, shoot.  No one's uploaded the Rodime Utilities disk anywhere. :/ At least, not that I can find on Google.

Edit:  Found a Rodime app on Mac Driver Museum.  Would love a disk image, though.

Edited by olePigeon