olePigeon

5th Generations Jukebox Five Floppy Disk Mechanized Hopper

@pcamen Not yet.  Tracking Information suggests today or tomorrow.  Since it's already today, I'm guessing it'll be tomorrow. :)

Edit:  Also, the 8th graders are out for Yosemite trip, so it's a really slow week.  I should have time to scan the manual in on Friday and get that over to you.  Maybe I'll just upload it to Macintosh Garden.

Edited by olePigeon

It arrived today.  Unfortunately it was shipped via 1 layer of bubblewrap wrapped in tape. :(  The box was completely smooshed.  I feared the worst.

I opened it up and it was wet inside.  Likely from condensation, but I suspect more than that because the paper clips in the manual were completely rusted and falling apart.

It does have a special utility called Jukebox Formatter which allows you to format, copy, or duplicate disks.  Unfortunately it doesn't utilize disk images.

I really lucked out on the disk.  I stuck it in once, it said it couldn't read it.  I took it out, rotated the hub, gave it a dusting, then put it back in.  It made horrible noises, but it mounted!  I was able to copy the program off of it (only 43K), but not before the disk self destructed and took my floppy drive with it when I attempted to image the disk.

I suspect the coating on the diskette degraded and was coming off in areas.  I hope it didn't permanently ruin my floppy drive.  I'll need to clean it.

I powered mine on to a test cycle according to the manual, but it doesn't pass the test cycle.  Looks like I'll need to open it up and see what's going on.  I really hope I can fix it.  There is a troubleshooting guide in the manual, I'll see how useful it is.

Looks like the belts came off during shipping.  Unfortunately when I opened it, there're 2 large springs that went flying.  They're there for tensioning the arm that holds the floppy disks.  Too much and the bitty motor can't push the carriage down and engage the stop switch.  Not enough tension, and the floppy disks weight it down too much and I get the same problem.

Also, the belt just comes off as it turns.  I moved the gears in and out, same issue.  So I put the gears flush with the plastic so the belt just rids up against it.  Not ideal. :/

@pcamen  Would you mind so dearly to take a picture of yours so I can see the proper placement of the two springs and the positioning of the two main gears?

Just be very, very careful when taking the lid off.  Do it very slowly so the springs don't come out.

@pcamen  Thanks!  I'll get mine in working condition.

The software isn't required, I don't think.  It just has some nifty automated options.

I might sit down with some AppleScript and see if I can get Disk Copy 6.3 to work with it, use it to make some automatic System 7 disk sets.

I also never noticed the battery compartment.  So they built it to be portable, despite not being compatible with the Macintosh Portable.

From the manual ... a little disappointing: 

The 3 interface plates are each labelled according to the Macintosh Model family they are designed to fit. 

Mine says SE - SE/30.  I only have one. 

Do you have all three @olePigeon?

Edited by pcamen

@pcamen Yes, mine has all three.  The little hooks must be ever-so-slightly different to accommodate the thickness of the plastic.  I can't tell just by looking at them.  Only a sticker could tell me the difference.

I wonder if an adapter could be 3D printer.  Not sure if the plastic would be strong enough to hold it, might need a stand.

Ah, lucky you.  Well, at least mine didn't come all discombobulated. :)

Yea, something can probably be jury rigged if not 3d printed.  If I can design a 3D printable one, can always have it printed in metal at Shapeways once a fit is determined. 

Woohoo!  I was able to find a belt.  It mostly works.  However, the gears and pulleys are (were?) held on by friction onto the shafts.  They're not on permanently.  So when the carriage gets towards the end, it gets stuck and won't push any further as the belt turns.  So I'm going to need to affix the gears to the shafts somehow.  I can get it to go with a manual push.

Any suggestions?  I was thinking of using hot glue because I can remove it if it doesn't work, but I doubt it'll stick to metal.

Or maybe a dab of super glue?

Edited by olePigeon

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to secure the plastic nylon gears to the metal shaft?  Also, I'm going to re-grease it.  Will silicon grease work, or should I use something else?  Oil?

On 10/26/2019 at 10:13 PM, olePigeon said:

Woohoo!  I was able to find a belt.  It mostly works.  However, the gears and pulleys are (were?) held on by friction onto the shafts.  They're not on permanently.  So when the carriage gets towards the end, it gets stuck and won't push any further as the belt turns.  So I'm going to need to affix the gears to the shafts somehow.  I can get it to go with a manual push.

Any suggestions?  I was thinking of using hot glue because I can remove it if it doesn't work, but I doubt it'll stick to metal.

Or maybe a dab of super glue?

I think the problem is the old belt aged and was too lose while the new on is probably too tight.