Huxley

Is there a functional difference between an Apple IIGS keyboard and a 'normal' ADB keyboard?

I've got an Apple IIGS which I love, and I've got a significant stockpile of Apple Extended Keyboard II's. However, I find that the IIGS doesn't like to reboot when the "three finger salute" is pressed on any of the AEKII's - something about the timing of it is really finicky and weird, and 9/10 times it just drops to the ROM Monitor rather than rebooting the machine... but sometimes it works fine. Very odd. Given this, I'm suddenly wondering if there's an actual functional difference between a "real" Apple IIGS keyboard (the keyboard the IIGS would've shipped with) and other ADB keyboards. Can anyone confirm either way?

Thanks!

Huxley

On a Mac: no.

On a IIgs: If I remember correctly, the ROM03 should work fine with any other ADB keyboard, but the ROM01 has some problems with, and I am fuzzy on the details, extended keyboards. I hear about it most often with AppleDesign keyboards, because those show up in droves at KansasFest.

think that the shorter ADB Keyboard and ADB Keyboard II work well, though.

The ROM 01 doesn't support the Apple Adjustable Keyboard due to ADB protocol changes, which the ROM 3 supports with newer hardware. Everything else has been tested to work. If using a IIgs keyboard on a newer Mac, just note that it doesn't support soft power-on using the reset button.

All my Macs with soft power (8600, beige g3, 840av, for example) work fine powering on via the IIgs keyboard's reset/power button.

I use a IIgs keyboard with my SE/30 with soft power from the IIgs keyboard’s power key via a PowerKey Pro. It also works fine. I’m not sure I understand why it wouldn’t work on a “newer” Mac?