JDW

Apple Hard Disk 20SC Recapping - SONY CR-43 PSU

Just uploaded my Apple Hard Disk 20SC recapping video, which also covers the 40SC, 80SC and 160SC since they all use the same SONY CR-43 PSU. Check the text description for a Mouser Cart and useful info. At the end, I do a boot test with a 2015 15" MBP.

Great video! Your cap list could have saved me some time if I'd had it last year when I recapped the PS in my 20SC.

One thing I would recommend is getting a solder sucker, most of the time they are quicker & neater than solder wick.

Thank you for your kind words and the suggestion about the solder sucker.

Honestly, after many years of using cheap plastic mechanical pumps and even expensive all-metal electrical ones in the form of the soldering stations (all of which often get clogged and failed desolder at times), I found that a simple copper desoldering braid actually works best for me. I think It could be due to the fact I don’t squirt a lot of flux on the board but instead just use the flux added by my supplementary solder. As you see in my video, I add a small amount of fresh solder to the existing joint and then use the braid to desolder it. I do it that way because most people probably just have solder and a soldering iron and not other things like liquid flux. A copper braid is also very useful and important once the component has been desoldered because you will want to thoroughly clean off the pads before soldering in a replacement component.

My aim when making these videos is to do it in a way that is easy enough for most people to feel confident about doing it themselves, rather than paying somebody else to do it for them. With that said, if someone already has a desoldering station or a pump and not a wick, then I would suggest they give that a try, although they probably will be more successful if they also buy some liquid flux to add to the board when they desolder.

@JDW  You have to try this:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJSG/

Get some extra nozzles as well as they only last for maybe 10 recaps (but they are cheap).  I know you said you like the desoldering using braid, but I bought this and never looked back.  It's too big for removing through-hole caps on logic boards, but for analog boards (including what you did), it does a cleaner job in about 1/10 the time.  I can remove all of the caps from a Plus analog board leaving perfectly clean holes in about 5-10 minutes.

I had looked at getting a Hakko vacuum desoldering gun but I think this is better - It never clogs as you just squeeze out the sucked up solder.  I first go around and add some flux to all of the joints I'm going to remove and then it's literally 5 seconds per capacitor leg.

2 minutes ago, JDW said:

I just never use it because I like the wick better.  Perhaps the red rubber bulb is better than a motorized sucker.

I think it is.  The reviews I saw on the Hakko noted that it clogs and needs to be cleaned regularly.  No issue with this guy.  I've done probably 30 boards and loved this unit more and more each time.  

5 hours ago, olePigeon said:

@JDW I don't remember hearing in your video, but does your Mouser Cap Kit now include a lower tolerance capacitor for that one cap?

Yes, I mention in the video and in the text description that my recommended capacitor for C214 is included in my Mouser Cart, which is also mentioned in the text description. That Cornell cap has the lowest ESR of the 3 caps which do not have the 1kHz audible beep problem at power-on, and it also beats the Illinois cap because the Cornell is rated for 105°C.