Sign in to follow this  
maz

Bootable SC20 with IBM disk

Hi all, I am trying to make an SC20 bootable connected to a Plus. It's had its old drive replaced by an 80Mb IBM drive at some point. I can read and write from and to the drive, but I can't boot from it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

-- maz

Edited by maz

Yeah, used both Lido 7 and the patched HDSC Setup (for non-Apple disks)... it still won't boot. I can read and write to and from fine after booting from a floppy.

Yeah, but I can both read and write once I've booted from a floppy. It's not a hardware/formatting issue.  I am pretty sure I need a special driver to boot of the drive as it's a nonstandard 80MB IBM disk and not a 20MB miniscribe as I gather was shipped in the original 20SC. How do you guys boot from a SCSI device configured like this?

-- maz

On 10/13/2019 at 7:57 AM, maz said:

Yeah, used both Lido 7 and the patched HDSC Setup (for non-Apple disks)... it still won't boot. I can read and write to and from fine after booting from a floppy.

Which version of HD SC Setup did you use?  Sounds like the SCSI driver that the Plus needs to boot isn't being copied to the disk during setup.

You might try the early version that comes with System 6. (patched of course) I forget the version number.

Also, some early Plus's have buggy ROMS regarding SCSI. (Although this is probably not the problem.)

Also the System folder on the HD needs to be "blessed".

Edited by MOS8_030

23 hours ago, MOS8_030 said:

Which version of HD SC Setup did you use?  Sounds like the SCSI driver that the Plus needs to boot isn't being copied to the disk during setup.

You might try the early version that comes with System 6. (patched of course) I forget the version number.

Also, some early Plus's have buggy ROMS regarding SCSI. (Although this is probably not the problem.)

Also the System folder on the HD needs to be "blessed".

I used version 3.0.1.

I just installed OS7.1 on the hard disk from a set of 10 floppies. Still can't boot. How do I tell if the system folder is "blessed"?

-- maz