Forums

1. Important Information

1. The 68kMLA Forum Rules   (10165 visits to this link)

To quote vintage Apple manuals: "Read Me First!"

2. Community Connections

1. General 68kMLA News & Stuff

What's going down in the barracks.

Discuss your latest vintage Mac finds!

Feel free to trade all of your Mac goodies here with all honest intentions. The website provider assumes NO liability, so buyer beware! Please see this topic for more information.

1. RetroChallenge

What can you do given only one month and strictly "retro" hardware? Find out with RetroChallenge!
      http://retrochallenge.org/

The creation and maintenance of the 68kMLA's information repository.
      http://68kmla.org/wiki/

1. Compact Mac

Macintosh, 512k, SE, etc.

Just think, having a Quadra 950 in 1992 would be like having a Mac Pro today… except with more slots, more expandability, and on-board SCSI!

Ah, the consumer computers!

From the Portable to the 190cs.

1. NuBus Power Mac, LC & Performa

The NuBus architecture gets a new brain!

The PPC comes of age and adopts the industry standard expansion slot.

From the Beige G3 to the quad-core G5, via various iMacs!

All that power in a laptop? Never…

1. Apple I, ][, /// & Lisa

Not really 68k Macs, but certainly Vintage!

The best PDA ever finally gets its own forum!

Includes system stuff, productivity, emulation, design, and games for pre-OS X Macs!

Yes, it's back! Hardware hacks/modifications and software development for Mac OS.

Anything you can hook up to your Mac or stuff into it as an interface!

• Alright, I could test the drive using Micronet and found out one bad sector (9569), but using Micronet to reallocate it leads to the clicking noise and a couple of errors. I think I'm done here. 
    • That might be true, but let's be realistic, the material seems like plastic and if you look at the analogue board pictures above, you can see the other corners look alike, but the bottom left corner is out of shape, this leads me to believe that it was made to handle certain amount of heat and on that one corner, the amount of heat exceeded the operating temperature and it just melted. So something happened that should not happen normally.
    • If your meter will read really low resistances you can measure the shorted rail in different area's or the board and the reading should get lower the closer to the shorted component you get. I haven't ever done this personally but have seen it done online a few times and it seems to work   Other than that what you have described should work in most circumstances (It's what I would usually do on modern boards) however it will not work on really really low resistance shorts (e.g solder bridges)
    • Very interested in this.   These look easy to copy if you could get the timing right :   https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/4x-4mb-apple-mac-ii-iix-30pin-tin-non-1825526434   Thats a quad or isn't it?
    • So well, not so good as it turns out. As soon as I slotted the batteries in I heard a little "click" noise from the part of the board near the power button or thereabout. Removed the batteries of course...   I got investigating, and there is a short on the main rail! Almost everywhere... that annoyed me a lot as I was very careful but then again... small mistake?   So I started to remove all the caps I replaced (well the SMT ones, I can't see the bigger ones being a problem!) and test until none was left and... no luck, still shorting.   So I think I'm going to also remove the 4 SOIC I installed, and then ----- grrrrr remove all the patch wires. And I still don't know if it will fix it, as I'm not entirely sure the short wasn't there in the first place! How *annoying*.   Next is to try to find the short, I got some freeze spray, and a bench supply of course, so I'll try to put 3V with increasing Amps into it and hope I can see something heat up.. unless someone has a better suggestion?