Byte Knight

MacBottom HD/Modem Modernization

So I got a nonworking MacBottom HD / Modem with the purchase of my SE/30 and decided to modernize it.  I swapped out the dead SCSI HD for a SCSI2HD (after 3D printing a bracket for it) and the old modem for a GuruModem RS-232 WiFi Modem.  I used a 12V -> 5V microUSB converter to get proper power to the modem.  It's kind of a mess in there, but everything works including the HD activity LED!  Now I've got a reliable backup SCSI HD, I can log on to BBS's, and I can transfer files to and from any old Mac.

What's slick about the GuruModem is that you can FTP to servers (like my MacBook Pro running FTPServer), download files to its microSD card, and then transfer those files to an old Mac via zmodem protocol.

IMG_3831.thumb.jpg.3eac8c9ba092c5d46a8315e8898ef6b5.jpg

IMG_3833.thumb.jpg.e1d239987ffbe9007e3133608eacd1ae.jpg

Really nice mod :) ! What serial cable do you use, and more importantly, where did you get it? I was interested to try out the GuruModem myself, but did not really find any good info on the serial cable/adapter needed. Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, zeppelin87 said:

Really nice mod :) ! What serial cable do you use, and more importantly, where did you get it? I was interested to try out the GuruModem myself, but did not really find any good info on the serial cable/adapter needed. Thank you in advance!

Thanks.  The cable is just a standard Mac modem DB-25 / RS-232 cable like this one on eBay.