Sign in to follow this  
MacFox

SCSI2SD as an External HDD for Multiple Macs?

Hello all,

I decided to create this thread because of an idea I had and I wanted to know if this idea would be possible.  The idea came to me while I was using my SE a couple days ago.  My SE only has an 800K drive, so when I want to back up the documents I created to something like an SD or CF card, I have to copy the file to an 800K floppy first and then use my PDQ to copy the file over to SD or CF.  As much as I love floppies, I don't exclusively rely on them for backing things up like I did in the past.  The process of backing up to SD via the PDQ isn't bad, but it's kind of inconvenient.  I remembered that there's an external enclosure you could get for the SCSI2SD, so I figured maybe I could use it as a backup drive?  I've had SCSI HDDs fail on me in the past, so I would install system 6.0.8 on the SCSI2SD so I can boot from it in case the SE's HDD dies.  I then thought to myself "what if I created multiple partitions/drives on the SCSI2SD?  One for each of my SCSI HDD Macs?" 

I have three Macs that use SCSI HDDs (SE, Classic II, and Centris 650), so my plan would be to create a partition/drive on the SCSI2SD for each Mac.  One partition would be System 6.0.8 for the SE, another partition would be System 7.1 for the Classic II, and finally one partition would be System 7.5.3 for the Centris 650.  I never have more than one of my 68k Macs on at the same time, so the idea would be to share the SCSI2SD between the Macs, plugging in the SCSI2SD into whichever Mac is in use at the time.  I would use the SCSI2SD like an external HDD and should the internal HDD fail in any of these Macs I could boot into the appropriate version of System from the SCSI2SD.  Would this work and if so what would be the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

You can use different SD cards with SCSI2SD. If you want to use one SD card, you can change the partition/drive mapping by usage of scsi2sd-util.

In case of internal HDD failure, you may need to remove the internal HDD to avoid a delay in boot.

49 minutes ago, uyjulian said:

You can use different SD cards with SCSI2SD. If you want to use one SD card, you can change the partition/drive mapping by usage of scsi2sd-util.

In case of internal HDD failure, you may need to remove the internal HDD to avoid a delay in boot.

That's good.

Something I forgot to ask earlier, can the SCSI2SD be used with other SCSI devices?  I occasionally use an external SCSI CD-ROM drive with my 68k macs.  Would I be able to daisy-chain the SCSI2SD to the CD-ROM drive?

That’s good.

I just noticed on Inertial Computing’s website that they have SCSI2SD v5.5 in place of the previous external enclosure for the v5.1.  The v5.5 is an external only option that plugs directly onto the SCSI port without needing a cable.  I think the v5.5 should work for my use case if I use an adapter and an extension cable with it, but I don’t know for sure.  Should I get the v5.5 from Inertial Computing or a v5.1/v6 with a third-party enclosure from eBay?

The v5.5 is a comfortable option, but is has some limitations:

• The terminator is always on and cannot be switched off. So the v5.5 has to be the last device in the chain.
  • The v5.5 has a DB25 connector. Most of the external enclosures have the larger Centronics-Style connector. 

Bottom-line:

If it's just your Mac and the SCSI2SD plugs directly into it, then, the v5.5 is super comfortable. An external enclosure in combination with a V5.1 is more general, but will take more space.