Josef

Power Mac G5 OS Compatability

12 minutes ago, Mighty Jabba said:

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference, but I would avoid the liquid cooled ones since they seem to have issues.

Yeah, I think they will all run Tiger and you're right, best to avoid the water cooled systems. I have yet to see one that didn't leak.

6 hours ago, MOS8_030 said:

Yeah, I think they will all run Tiger and you're right, best to avoid the water cooled systems. I have yet to see one that didn't leak.

The Late 2005 models did have an improved LCS- I've had two Quad 2.5s for almost 10 years now and both are still dry, though they're overdue for a clean-out and service. Still, if you do want the fastest G5 they made, they're generally much easier to keep alive than the prior models. That said, any G5 model will run 10.4.11 and OS9 via classic quite well, though none of them can natively boot OS9.

Thank you. Well I picked up a G5 with 10.4.11 that does not have OS9 on it and not been able to install OS9 to where it opens into classic mode. How is that to be done effectively?

2 hours ago, Josef said:

Well I picked up a G5 with 10.4.11 that does not have OS9 on it and not been able to install OS9 to where it opens into classic mode. How is that to be done effectively?

I recall being able to do it after the fact somehow, but I think it was on my iBook, which could natively boot both. The G5 definitely can't, and although it's been a while since I was doing the side-by-side workflow, the most effective way I recall on my G4 and G5 macs of yore is to use the original install discs. There's an option in the restore media to install the classic environment along with OS X.

This is what Macintosh Garden has for restore media:
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/powermac-g5-restore-medias

I have some physical restore discs for the iMac G5 I could send your way, but I doubt their universality.

Edited by jessenator
clarity

Does the HDD need to have OS9 drivers in order to be used with Classic mode? My recollection was that that's only true if you intended to dual boot OS9 on a machine where that's possible.

(Confirmed, it is only relevant on g4-and-older computers that can boot OS 9, and for removable media you might move between machines: https://support.apple.com/kb/TA20774?locale=en_US )

As my recollection goes, you look for and download OS9General.DMG (such as the one here: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-922-powermac-g4-mdd ) and there should be an installer file there, or you can copy the contents to the root of your hard disk.

These machines shipped with a separate CD (which had an installer) and it may be possible to find the one whose label matches your original machine, but per the info on OS9Lives and MacGarden, having that matching CD doesn't really matter, and the one from the MDD works on all Macs for Classic Mode.