joshc

Another eBay conquest, 3 more compact Macs... (aka Mac Haul 2)

After cleaning the logicboard and floppy drive/hard drive, I decided to put it all back together to see if I could get the floppy drive reading disks and to see if the hard drive would mount.

Long story short, some initial success but then quite a big failure. It can boot from a floppy, albeit very slowly (I think I've just forgotten how slow floppy booting is), anyway the hard drive just won't mount at the moment, HD SC cant see it and after a while it spins down on its own... But when I tried a restart, and the floppy drive ejected the disk, it immediately started making an awful screeching sound. I powered it off, then back on, and the sound remained.

Looking through the Dead Mac scrolls book, there isn't a mention of this as a symptom in the floppy drive section of the book, does anyone know what it might be?

Also, before I forget, has anyone got some good tips on how to revive these old SCSI drives? I know its a long shot expecting a 30 year old drive to just carry on working, but it would be REALLY handy to see what's on there!!

Back to square one...

23 hours ago, joshc said:

Also, before I forget, has anyone got some good tips on how to revive these old SCSI drives? I know its a long shot expecting a 30 year old drive

Perhaps not such a long-shot. I've learned from past experiences and have developed some specialized techniques which are non-invasive. I strongly urge you not to disassemble the drive until you've tried other methods first.

What sounds does the drive make, and what do you think is wrong with it?