cyelvington

New case of Simasimac -- at my wit's end!

Hello, I'm new to the forums. Been lurking for a while. Anyhow, I just pulled my SE/30 out of storage, got it recapped, washed the motherboard in my dishwasher, and I'm dealing with Simasimac. No chime, and horizontal stripes. A few times I've gotten a slow death chime. I can't see anything wrong with my motherboard at all -- I've tried reseating the ROM and RAM, and I've scrubbed a few spots on the board with 91% alcohol, and still no dice. Here is a photo of the board ( the upload to forum route didn't work for me.) BTW, the battery is new. https://imgur.com/a/VzRywq0

I'm new to all of this, don't understand the schematics, and I just want my SE/30 to work again. I've got 4MB of replacement RAM and a replacement stock ROM SIMM on the way, but that's basically my last-ditch effort. I'd be willing to send my board to anyone on here in the US that could help. I'm in Memphis, TN, if anyone might be in my vicinity.

Thank you in advance, and I'm sorry if I violated any rules by just jumping in and asking for help.

Edited by cyelvington

Nice cap job!  Very clean.  Many times in cases like these the issue is actually a trace, VIA, et al. that is damaged causing the issue.  Please rest assured, you are not the only vintage Mac owner whose reached your wit's end.  Also, please don't fear to ask for help.  The SE/30 is a favorite around here and we are all happy to help.  That said, I'm not the most experience in this department as I've given up on more than my fair share of SE/30 boards.  But trust me, it will be worth it once you fix the issues. 

I didn't do the cap job myself-- there's a local store here that primarily sells used video games and consoles, and they've got a guy on staff that is good at recapping old stuff. Asked him if he'd do my SE/30 and I had him do it. Went for tantalum caps as I'm told they are much better than electrolytics. I'm going to set it aside until I get the RAM and ROM I ordered, but I'm definitely open to potential fixes in the meantime!  I've been wanting to get this thing working again for a long time but never got to pull it out of my attic till now. I last booted it over 10 years ago, and it was one of the few classic Macs I kept when I moved to a new house, cause I knew how great they are.

Update on my SE/30: I have replaced the ROM SIMM with a different one and replaced the RAM with different SIMMs too. Still no dice. As a last ditch effort, I have run it through the dishwasher again, this time with the upside facing the water spouts so it would clean more thoroughly. Fingers crossed this did it, but won't know till it dries. I did notice some dirty spots on the board before hand that are gone now.

Also, I have tested the continuity on all the new caps to make sure that's good. I should also mention that my original ROM SIMM had three pins near the center that were green colored, as if the conductive material had worn off. Not only that, it would wiggle in the slot. The new ROM I got fits much more snugly and doesn't have any weird colored pins.

If you do not get a chime, the board has a problem to see the ROM. Can be broken traces. You should check the continuity of the traces to the rom. You need the schematics for that job.

Sometimes UE8 is defect and must be replaced.

I had a board with no chime and had to replace two of the F258 chips. Then it worked again.

Edited by dochilli

If you have corrosion on the ROM SIMM there might be corrosion on the socket as well.

UE8 is usually fine if you get horizontal stripes on screen because that is the default content of the VRAM.