Faust

SE/30 repair (and a little problem).

Hello everyone, new here but I have been a lurker for some time now.

A few months back after much hunting around I finally found an SE/30 of my very own (as well as two Classics that were part of a set) and had begun work on fixing it off and on. At first the task was intimidating given that its my first time ever doing an SMD Cap repair. That said after some time and patience I was able to accomplish and fix the board! 

20190823_203459.thumb.jpg.81bcdc32c7d730ff0c632a00d89ae6ec.jpg20190823_225540.thumb.jpg.45d5ca898b9ff9ec864902ba4a48ce47.jpg

20190824_082900.thumb.jpg.9b9f6ecaf99d40b47b821648eb123814.jpg

All was going great (and even the HDD worked surprisingly enough!) However I seem to have an issue with the Floppy drive. The drive has definitely seen better days as it was covered and full of dust and gunk. Despite careful cleaning, application of White lithium grease and extreme carefulness to clean the heads with a swab and alcohol, I get the (mostly consistent) same issue of a Floppy read, Happy Mac and then ejection. 

20190824_224434.thumb.jpg.e778ddf49901f8216e20ee6895963191.jpg

After some time testing some disks eventually one did boot up, however it looked to be a fluke of luck than any consistency. I cannot be too sure if the disks I have are rubbish or if the drive is dead (or worse I missed something on the board). Needless to say the next option I had to my person was to pull out another Floppy drive from one of the Classic Macs I got in part of this collection. This one was in far better condition but despite everything it still produced the same mostly consistent issue of Happy Mac and Ejection. 

20190824_223424.thumb.jpg.c70a274aad606fa2155ee94eacf9dc51.jpg

At this point I am not entirely sure what I can do next on the matter. I have thought about burning some newer images on newer 1.44 disks I have using windows/winimage and see if anything changes. I have even considered looking into an external drive or possibly floppyemu for a workaround. Could it be a string of bad internal floppy drives? Am I doing something wrong here or perhaps there is something on the board I need to investigate?

I am hoping to hear out on any ideas from the community at large. This is one of my first large scale Mac repairs so I have a lot to take in information wise. I hope a solution can be found here!

Jim is right: that usually happens when there is a system software incompatibility. Getting some fresh 6.0.8 disks will probably help with that.

12 hours ago, jimjimx said:

You might have a too early version of Mac OS. Do you know which one is on the floppy?

12 hours ago, LaPorta said:

Jim is right: that usually happens when there is a system software incompatibility. Getting some fresh 6.0.8 disks will probably help with that.

I believe the system itself on the HDD is a 6.0.8 system. That said I have been testing the floppy drive without plugging in the HDD just to see if it would boot off of floppy directly. Could that be an issue?

**EDIT**

Its a 6.0.7 system20190824_130339.thumb.jpg.701825b8d2223f22c17c767bdb6c7cd0.jpg

Edited by Faust

No, disconnecting anything internally (as long as the machine is off at the time!) won't mess anything up for you or stop it from starting. If it works off the HD, why not get a blank 1.4 MB disk, create a System Folder on it, drag both the System and Finder from the HD in there, Use the "Set Startup..." command with the disk selected in the Finder from the Special menu, make sure that the System image appears on the System Folder. Restart with the disk in the drive and see if it will start up. If it won't, then perhaps it really is a disk drive issue.

Edited by LaPorta

40 minutes ago, LaPorta said:

No, disconnecting anything internally (as long as the machine is off at the time!) won't mess anything up for you or stop it from starting. If it works off the HD, why not get a blank 1.4 MB disk, create a System Folder on it, drag both the System and Finder from the HD in there, Use the "Set Startup..." command with the disk selected in the Finder from the Special menu, make sure that the System image appears on the System Folder. Restart with the disk in the drive and see if it will start up. If it won't, then perhaps it really is a disk drive issue.

Gotcha, I will try this as soon as I get done work today. Thanks!

Also another thing, Are Mac Classic and SE/30 Tubes the same? I was considering swapping one since the SE/30 has some signs of burn in. 

Some are. Apparently, part-way through the Classic run, tubes were switched which were NOT compatible. Someone here with greater knowledge on the subject will undoubtedly chime in.

All tubes are the same, and can be exchanged, from early ones to last units. 

The only difference is the ring and electrical side, but can easily swapped from one to another. 

2 hours ago, LaPorta said:

Some are. Apparently, part-way through the Classic run, tubes were switched which were NOT compatible. Someone here with greater knowledge on the subject will undoubtedly chime in.

I saw this sticky.

2 hours ago, bibilit said:

All tubes are the same, and can be exchanged, from early ones to last units. 

The only difference is the ring and electrical side, but can easily swapped from one to another. 

Would anyone want to go through the process of exchanging the parts though? Possible isn't always feasible.

Edited by jessenator

10 hours ago, Faust said:

I believe the system itself on the HDD is a 6.0.8 system. That said I have been testing the floppy drive without plugging in the HDD just to see if it would boot off of floppy directly. Could that be an issue?

**EDIT**

Its a 6.0.7 system

It doesn’t matter what’s on the HD when you boot from a floppy..

When you insert a floppy at time of boot, the machine looks for a valid system on the floppy disk.

If it finds one, it will continue to boot from that floppy disk. 

If there’s not a valid system, it will eject the disk, and look to SCSI bus, starting at ID 0.

Sorry for the lack of updates on my end. Been busy moving my entire life over into a new apartment. 

As for an update on the Mac on Friday when I got done work I took some advice on here and...

20190830_182641.thumb.jpg.33dfa9434884ed38b925adc86a825f0e.jpg

IT WORKS!

20190830_183953.thumb.jpg.99a8640d91ff915d32372a5e9ba11ab4.jpg

20190830_184603.thumb.jpg.c0e01d71e759ebb1e01b932fbb97f74c.jpg

I was able to not only just get it running, with a fresh burned disk of 6.0.8, but I was able to get the OS upgraded fully without any issues either! It fully works now!! 

I thank you all for the help. I can only hope now to get some fun games/files on here in prep for the house warming party a month from now and to see if I can swap out the burned in tube for a better one. If anyone has any further advice I will gladly take it. Thank you all again!