jessenator

Jessenator's conquests

Got a few bits of miscellany tonight (had to go to two thrift stores):

::linked to larger versions::

IBM/Lenovo ThinkVision L201p — nice and hefty, weighted/counterbalanced(?) height, decent tilt and axial rotation. Incidentally, is there a way to rotate the screen orientation in classic OS? or do you have to have a portrait display to do that?

NPMDWDkl.jpg

Little bit bigger than my Sony SDM monitor, native resolution of 1600x1200. Doesn't do the fun 1:1 mode that the Sony does, but very nice display.

Old HP Pavilion — I really only wanted the PSU. 14 years is better than 24 years :lol: but it has some other things I might dabble with like a DVD-R (which Windows thinks is a DVD-RAM for some reason??) with LightScribe! Never had one, but maybe I can find some media to try out just for fun.
RxwvcXil.jpg
Interesting it had FireWire on the board with header connectors. I really wasn't into the PC world in 2006, so maybe that's not uncommon.
VO8OPeil.jpg

I'm actually surprised that this machine hadn't been pilfered. I got this one at Savers and they had a bit of reputation for having nearly gutted PCs and even a couple of B&W G3s at one point. But it was all there, super, SUPER dusty, but still functional. The PO had the sense to wipe the HDD before dropping it off, and it was nice they put the default software and config back in it. Nice flashback!
mkMgRuVl.jpg

Yeah, I saw that monitor thinking it was really banged up or just plain didn't work, but I plugged it in and the no signal graphic started moving around the screen. Sold.

1 minute ago, Unknown_K said:

Why would you want a PS from an OEM HP anyway?

I just needed a generic ATX PSU to replace the possibly ailing supply in my PowerWave. $8 seemed reasonable.  I might sell the mobo on ebay or give it to a friend perhaps. Not that I'd make much on ebay anyway.

I just looked up LightScribe recordable media... $2+ per disc  that's a tad steep just to play with, so I might pass on it.

Don't know how I missed this when it popped up on local not-Craigslist last week, but glad I picked it up. I thought about also getting the 6100/66 DOS they were also selling but, meh—no Houdini Y-cable and I'm already pushing hoarder status in my house :lol:.

7ikxKic.jpg

It was very clean when I got it, leading me to believe the individual I bought it from too care of that after finding it while thrifting, but it's very clean, save for the fans, which is normal. The motherboard looked like it got the soap and IPA cleaning, so there was some work done or it was regularly cleaned out during its original run.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a GIMO connector on the upper left, above the SCSI connector? It is a Catalyst reference design after all. Might be worth a test.

HApFzj2.jpg

I also love how this is actually just a PowerCurve board—see the screen printed name. Efficiency in building systems to the last.

Edited by jessenator

On 1/21/2020 at 9:31 PM, jessenator said:

a DVD-R (which Windows thinks is a DVD-RAM for some reason??) with LightScribe!

Long delay - I know. That's pretty normal. You should be able to unsheath a DVD-RAM disc or buy one that's not cased up and pop it in and use it like you'd expect a DVD-RAM disc to work. The bummer thing about that is that DVD-RAM discs aren't, as far as I know, being made any more, and this functionality became mainstream way later than I'll argue it should have, but.

10 hours ago, jessenator said:

Don't know how I missed this when it popped up on local not-Craigslist last week, but glad I picked it up.

This is a very handsome looking box.

Re the PowerWave and PowerTower - I had thought they were different platforms (although, that's only really relevant on a "weird niche technical details" or "writing drivers to run linux on PowerPC hardware" detail level. It's possible this board is a transplant or they weren't different platforms and the thing I'm thinking of is PowerWave vs. PowerCenter.

Ultimately though, thinking about it, it would make perfect sense for the powercenter/wave/tower to all use the same base platform, since the real differentiation was in what CPU/cache/whatever you put in it, and the case/form factor.

35 minutes ago, Cory5412 said:

I had thought they were different platforms

You are correct. The PowerTower, PowerCurve, PowerCenter/Pro all had Catalyst-based designs (and may all be the exact same board). The PowerWave, PowerTower Pro were both Tsunami-based designs, though not the same board (the PTP has standard PCI slots, vs the 90* riser setup on the PW). The outlier is the PowerBase, which is Alchemy-based and is the only model with a soldered CPU (save the ColdFusion-based Power-series). All the rest had daughter cards, AFAIK.

As far as the case designs, I've seen 2 different "low-profile" cases (which are quick thicc), the first  on the Power-series, and then the PowerWave and PowerCenter, and then the even lower-profile case for the PowerBase/Curve.  According to some sources you could purchase a Power-Series and then the PowerWave with a mini tower case config as well, later to be used on the PowerTower (non-Pro), and a not-quite-full-tower for the PowerTower Pro only(?) And with 2x 3.5 and 4x 5.25 drive bays (in addition to a dedicated floppy drive) and 6 PCI slots... that was quite the setup.

I want to say the boards are swappable, but from what I've seen (of my own machines and what pics I can find online), the I/Os differ from model to model, and they didn't use shields, but were punched out of the steel. Don't know if they separated their tooling so they could make 90% of the case, and then save the I/O punch to have variants?

But I might be off on some points there...

35 minutes ago, Cory5412 said:

This is a very handsome looking box.

Thanks! I'm glad I snatched it, and for the price, too. I couldn't say no.

Edited by jessenator

11 minutes ago, jessenator said:

The outlier is the PowerBase, which is Alchemy-based and is the only model with a soldered CPU

I have a PowerBase, and it has a daughter card?? Was this a different PowerBase variant that I don't know about???

13 minutes ago, jessenator said:

(save the ColdFusion-based Power-series)

What's this????

c

Hmmmmmmm.

I'd forgotten a detail earlier. The PowerBase was a 603e clone, available both in the same tower as the PowerTower and the low profile desktop case, so it's board is probably different, but it's form factor is the same. (Dang it you said that, sorry I'm not entirely on the ball this morning.)

And, the PowerTower Pro didn't have onboard graphics, in swap for the 6 slots. the PowerCenter had 1M Onboard graphics and the PowerTower had 2M onboard graphics, though if it's what Apple was doing you could upgrade a PowerCenter to 2M, and given that these things are all ~25 years old their configurations may have changed. (If it's the Apple onboard video from the 7000/8000 series, max vram is 4M.)

Also, I appear to have missed entirely that this system is using a riser. That would make more sense for systems that can be configured as a low profile desktop or a minitower.

Catalyst is the 7200's architecture, it appears, I suspect maybe one generation of these clones is using that arch, but the PTP's definitely using a higher end architecture that matches the 9500. (Thinking about this: if the PT/PWave/PCenter all have 4 RAM slots I think that's a fair indicator, the 7500+ and 8500 had like 8 RAM slots.

(This kind of makes me want a PowerComputing clone, but it's a Catalyst with a 120MHz 601 onboard.) 

1 minute ago, CC_333 said:

What's this????

I think that's the 8100 architecture. The Power 80/100/120 are NuBus/601-based PowerComputing clones. I have a /120 and just need to get it fixed up and going.

Interesting. Guess I shouldn't just trust one source... my bad. Yeah, looks like it's a daughter-card-based as well.

Yes, as Cory mentioned, the Power xx/xxx series were essentially a 7100/8100 based and with NuBus. 

The PowerWave does have 8 RAM slots, not to be that guy ;) but again, that might be because it was Tsunami based—an 95/8500 with some nice perks (FastSCSI) and some strange drawbacks (only one PCI bus). It did however have the ultimate in i/o backward compatibility in the form of the Stargate card /s (from all accounts it kinda sucked).

Also, A nice plus about the PowerTower was that you could put up to 4 MB VRAM with the 1 MB modules (3 slots, 1MB soldered)

Edited by jessenator

PT Pro does have dedicated PCI graphics card. I really like its flexibility. It does have its 604s on a daughter card: I have a Sonnet G3 card in there right now.

Edited by LaPorta

Remembered where this was, as previously linked to by you:

http://macinfo.de/hardware/boards-g2.html

And, sure enough - PowerWave and PowerTower Pro are listed there under Tsunami.

And, yeah, Tsunami with bits deleted does make sense as a platform choice. This makes me want to see a PowerWave, because Tsunami implicitly does not have onboard video, though I suppose nothing's stopping a vendor from integrating their own onboard video.

Catalyst is an interesting, although from a "the clones are supposed to be budget oriented" perfectly sensical choice for the other PowerComputing machines.

2 minutes ago, Cory5412 said:

This makes me want to see a PowerWave, because Tsunami implicitly does not have onboard video

Yeah, my PW has a Mach64 PCI card (with both DA and DB 15 ports).

Edited by jessenator

Well, bad news and good news and some meh news:
48pXtd7.jpg

The 166 card is faulty in some way. I pulled everything and cleaned everything again, even swapping PSUs, but it's the processor daughter card. But, I had so many spares lying around I could get it booting.

Also, since my DA-15 connection isn't exactly "standard issue" I popped the jumper to VGA on and can use the DB-15 connection.

The CD-ROM has to be either really dirty, or on its way out {supposition}, as I got to the boot screen and it lags and lags and lags, but haven't notice it crash yet. I used air, but it's probably old grime. Might buy a drive cleaner...