RCMediaAndTech

I need some help repairing my SE/30 Board

Hello, 

My Macintosh SE/30 motherboard has been having issues since I received the computer in mid July. First of all, it used to turn on and do the simasimac, and death chimes but then I sent it out to MacCaps, and he tried to repair to no avail. It did the same thing when I got it back, so I tried washing the board in 5% White vinegar, but that didn't do anything. Any suggestions? Thanks! 

-Ryan 

Did MacCaps actually recap the board for you?  If so great, but you may still have leaked electrolyte on the board.  I don’t think 5% white vinegar would do much (smells nice though in my opinion, and kills germs!), I would bathe it in 90% isopropyl alcohol and scrub it down with a toothbrush.  Let it dry for a day, try again.  Try swapping out both the RAM and ROM SIMMs if possible (RAM SIMMs are available cheap on eBay and elsewhere ... ROM might take a bit more patience to find one.). If none of that works your leaked caps probably damaged a trace or via and you might have to identify and repair it, or one of the ICs on the board might be bad, which I lack the skills to diagnose but someone else here can probably help with!

I have repaired quite a few of those boards, first thing i do is clean the board.

I remove the capacitors and clean again the board locally, so in my opinion this has already been done.

Also, probably a swap test has been done with ram and rom to try troubleshooting the board.

I can be wrong but the death chimes means part of the boot process is working, any fault code is present when the death chimes are heard ?

And yes, Crutch is probably right, probably an IC or broken trace somewhere.

Also IIRC the 74F258 chips (near the Rom slot) can do that.

Sounds like (1) you have bad ROM or it can’t see the ROM (try swapping the ROM as a couple of us have suggested), or (2) another component has failed. One thing to try is see if your symptoms are described in The Dead Mac Scrolls - the PDF is available online if you google it. 

I have 2 ROMs, but none of them seem to work, as there are no chimes of death anymore. I checked The Dead Mac Scrolls and I couldn't find anything on the Simasimac on the SE/30. Anyways, I lack the expertise to repair this board, and I think I might need someone else to help me repair this motherboard. Either that or I would gladly buy a SE/30 if anyone has any. Thanks!