altayd9

Connecting a ZIP drive to a Macintosh Plus

How do you run the Iomega drivers on a mac plus? I keep getting application is busy or missing, no matter where it is. I put it in a system disk and it doesn't load the drivers on boot, I get the icon with an X on it. No matter what I do I can't get the ZIP drive recognized. It is the correct SCSI drive too but I don't have the original cable, I'm substituting one that fits.

5 hours ago, altayd9 said:

How do you run the Iomega drivers on a mac plus? I keep getting application is busy or missing, no matter where it is. I put it in a system disk and it doesn't load the drivers on boot, I get the icon with an X on it. No matter what I do I can't get the ZIP drive recognized. It is the correct SCSI drive too but I don't have the original cable, I'm substituting one that fits.

You just need some drivers / tools - and for sure a suitable 25/25pin straight cable as scsi cable. If you have another Macintosh with OS 7.x available, I can send you my files/images :) it depends on your startup disk whre to put the iomega driver file. usually you have to put it under the System Folder .. take a look on my Video - sorry, it's long and only German audio :/  .. but should help a little:  

Edited by MarNo84

Silly question, but what kind of Zip drive have you got ? the standard SCSI one or the Plus ?

IIRC the version on the driver is mandatory to get a working disk.

To my recollection, you need Iomega Driver 4.2 or older for this to work. I used to start from a Zip disk prior to changing to a Floppy Emu

That will work unless you are trying to use the Zip Disk as the startup disk. I’m not sure if this is what he is trying to do. Perhaps the Zip drive itself is busted.

I have the Z100S2 with Termination on and I've tried both SCSI id's. I'm not trying to use it as a startup disk. But the driver I have is 4.2 and its on the floppy from rescuemyclassic mac.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, altayd9 said:

No matter what I do I can't get the ZIP drive recognized. It is the correct SCSI drive too but I don't have the original cable, I'm substituting one that fits.

Does your Zip drive show in SCSI Probe? If not, then probably your cable is bad.

The Mac Plus lacks internal SCSI termination.    So, you either need a really short SCSI cable, so that both ends of the SCSI chain look like one end, electrically, or you need a pass-through 25 pin terminator between the Plus and cable.

This may not be your only problem, but it can be a problem.

Ok first try a REAL SCSI cable, not one of those printer cables for Microsoft computers..

If that doesn’t work, try a different Zip drive. 

Its got to be one of those problems. 

The only other thing I can think of....

Is the Zip drive plugged into a zip PSU (5V 1A, Neg Gnd), and does the light turn on when first powered up?

Are there any indications that the Zip drive has power?

Edited by jimjimx