Huxley

Picked up a Mac IIci with some accessories!

I got home late last night from a long out-of-state work trip, so I took some 'me' time today to poke around a few local junk-shops and thrift stores. I found a few great items for cheap at my first stop (if you look on the left side of the first pic you'll see my new DigiDesign 001 breakout box + custom cable, which I'll try using with the ProTools-equipped PowerMac G4 I picked up recently), but my second stop is where I struck a bit of gold: a Mac IIci with some internal upgrades + Apple Extended Keyboard II + the angular ADB mouse. 

The IIci and mouse are filthy and are definitely going to need a complete teardown and restoration. Based on the particular type of grime on the machine, I'm suspicious that it was being used for decades in some sort of industrial setting - this isn't just the usual type of household dust. Nevertheless, I've never owned a IIci but always loved the form-factor, so I'm pretty excited to see if I can get it running. It has what I think is some sort of Apple-branded network card inside (please chime in if you know anything about it!), and a DayStar FastCache card in the cache slot. Looks like all the RAM banks are full too, which is nice. Oddly there's nothing in the ROM slot - is that a showstopper on this machine, or was that slot "optionally filled?" There's no hard drive inside either, and I'm assuming I'll need to pull the drive array and/or PSU out to check for battery leakage, but I'm optimistic overall. It's absolutely disgustingly dirty inside and out, but structurally it looks great - no cracked plastics, no obvious signs of being dropped, no obvious signs of leaking caps on the motherboard, etc.

I was about to walk out with the IIci alone for $20, but doubled-back and asked if the guy would toss in a keyboard and mouse. He wasn't willing to give them away for free, but after a bit of friendly haggling I handed over another $20 and felt pretty good. The keyboard is in fantastic shape other than a bit of yellowing (it was clearly not used in the same environment where the IIci was), and as a passionate Extended Keyboard II fan, I'm always happy to pick one up when I see one.

All-in-all a good haul!

I'm having trouble attaching any pics to this thread for some reason, so here's a simple Imgur album with the pics: https://imgur.com/a/m0tmeb8

Edited by Huxley
Pic uploads are broken?

That cache card looks interesting. Can you get a picture of that one as well? Certainly not your standard Apple cache card.

Lovely, I really like the IIci. I used to have one but had trouble doing the re-soldering myself and gave up, I eventally sold it to another 68kmla member, not sure if he ever got it working or not.

Good luck with it, I hope the PRAM battery hasn't exploded...I think its under the HDD assembly on these machines which should be easily removable, I think removing the HDD assembly is toolless on the IIci?

I had a third party cache card for the IIci a couple of decades ago.  I think it was made by Atto.  I remember getting the software by emailing them and asking them to upload it to their BBS.   :-)   I think I sold it when I picked up a refurbished 33MHz Turbo/040 from Daystar.

I wonder if the Atto software will work with the Daystar card.   I think I still  have it around here somewhere.

Edited by trag