PaulM

Noisy Fan, flaky power switch in my LC III

I have an LC III that seems to be in great shape except for a couple things I'd like to fix....

- The fan works but is quite noisy -- anybody know the specs I would need to consider in getting a replacement?

- The power switch is flaky -- makes an "arcing" sound and occasionally won't turn on at all.  I know I can l leave it "on" and plug into a switchable power strip but that seems like a temporary measure.  Is this a standard kind of part I can replace (hint: I have no hardware skills -- I could probably solder if it wasn't in a delicate location).

Thanks, all.

Power supplies are prone to capacitors failures, the LCs are known to have a very poor design are bad Elna capacitors.

Edited by bibilit

I replaced the switch in mine, it's a standard rocker switch that can be found all over eBay. I was tempted to fit a glowing one in there but stuck with a black one. 

6 hours ago, AwkwardPotato said:

The power switch, at least on my PSU, has a few wires soldered to it and is clipped into the back of the metal case.

Few wires? Should only be two (positive and negative / red and black).

On 8/1/2019 at 3:17 PM, tokyoracer said:

I replaced the switch in mine, it's a standard rocker switch that can be found all over eBay. I was tempted to fit a glowing one in there but stuck with a black one. 

Been awhile but, do you have a link to the part? I just melted the switch trying to desolder it from the LC I I'm recapping.

7 hours ago, ravuya said:

Been awhile but, do you have a link to the part? I just melted the switch trying to desolder it from the LC I I'm recapping.

You only need a standard 2-pin rocker switch.

I don't have the exact one I bought but if the picture looks correct, I'm pretty sure they're generally all a standard size and there's an absolute ton to choose from.

As long as you haven't completely borked the plastics, just note the ampage and be sure it's rated at at least your mains voltage and type "rocker switch" into eBays search.

You obviously want all the numbers to be the same or higher than what you have removed.

Other than that, you can go mad! Stick to OEM looking black/white, or get something fancy that lights up. Whatever you choose will do the job. (:

9 hours ago, tokyoracer said:

You only need a standard 2-pin rocker switch.

I don't have the exact one I bought but if the picture looks correct, I'm pretty sure they're generally all a standard size and there's an absolute ton to choose from.

As long as you haven't completely borked the plastics, just note the ampage and be sure it's rated at at least your mains voltage and type "rocker switch" into eBays search.

You obviously want all the numbers to be the same or higher than what you have removed.

Other than that, you can go mad! Stick to OEM looking black/white, or get something fancy that lights up. Whatever you choose will do the job. (:

Thank you for the help.

I ended up knocking it out of the power supply with some effort and on the side it says "ARCOLECTRIC ENGLAND 8550VB". Turns out Digikey still has at least a few variants of it.

I ended up ordering this one since the terminals looked similar: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/bulgin/T8550VBAAA/708-3119-ND/9598475. If I read the catalogue properly, it may just light up :)

Edited by ravuya

2 hours ago, ravuya said:

Thank you for the help.

I ended up knocking it out of the power supply with some effort and on the side it says "ARCOLECTRIC ENGLAND 8550VB". Turns out Digikey still has at least a few variants of it.

I ended up ordering this one since the terminals looked similar: https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/bulgin/T8550VBAAA/708-3119-ND/9598475. If I read the catalogue properly, it may just light up :)

That should do it. Keep us posted!

Just be sure to tin the wire and the terminals with solder so you transfer as minimal heat as possible to the switch plastics. Made that mistake once!

30 minutes ago, tokyoracer said:

Just be sure to tin the wire and the terminals with solder so you transfer as minimal heat as possible to the switch plastics. Made that mistake once!

Yes, I hope not to melt another switch! It looks like Astec actually tied the wires around the terminals before soldering them, so no wonder they didn't come loose under my iron.