Sign in to follow this  
CompaqMac

Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines Versions

Does anyone know if there are substantial differences between the 1992 version of this book and earlier versions?

I am interested in learning more about the Apple guidelines for B&W Macs,and I’m not sure if the 1992 edition included all the information in the previous editions of this book (1987 or 1988 I think) or if it’s completely reworked for color/System 7.

BTW, a PDF of th 1992 edition is on the vintageapple library dor anyone interested.

Edited by CompaqMac

From memory the 1992 edition largely expands on the 1987 material.  I couldn’t find the 1987 edition online anywhere, but there is a good subset of the original UI guidelines in Volumes I, IV (covering additions such as hierarchical menus), and V (adding color) of Inside Macintosh, which is freely available online.  Of course, the Human Interface Guidelines are more comprehensive.

By the way, the UI guidelines going back to Volume I of Inside Macintosh are brilliant. Splittable scroll bars! Intelligent cut and paste (smartly detecting whether to include spaces when cutting text, for example)! Make all dialog boxes modeless! Did anyone at all implement this stuff in 1984? Probably not — Apple’s own software sure didn’t. But it was awesome all the same. 

I definitely need to check out those Inside Macintosh volumes.  The 1992 Human Interface book isn't very focused on color at all anyway, so it probably isn't much different than the earlier versions.  I was just wondering if Apples guidelines actually changed over time from what they originally advocated.