Sign in to follow this  
68kMacx86

1.5 GHz G4 Mac Mini and OS9

8 minutes ago, trag said:

Is there room in the Mini for the PATA to SATA converter?

im not sure.  I'll just have to wait until I get paid and order a NOS drive from eBay and take off of work for a day so i can make up lost time playing with it.

Edited by 68kMacx86

On 7/23/2019 at 7:14 AM, 68kMacx86 said:

new ide drives of 2.5 inch variety r expensive but a converter from 44pin to sata is 5.  its the waiting that kills me

Here’s what I put in my G4 Mac mini. 

Interesting conversation re: PCMs awhile back!

Ford also uses that nomenclature (at least it did in the 90s and early 2000s; I've no idea what they call them nowadays).

Which brings me to our Ford Windstar minivan. I'm fairly certain the PCM is failing, because it will behave very erratically when driving. The last time I drove it, it started out okay enough, though shifting seemed a bit sluggish (it's an automatic, and is controlled by the PCM), but after about a half our (20 miles), it began to shift very erratically, and eventually, it was bouncing between all the gears randomly, which rendered it almost undriveable (I barely made it home!) The engine also has a tendency to die at random, or if I quickly accelerate while turning hard in one direction (or sometimes if I accelerate at all).

*Every* mechanic we've taken it to has said they can't find anything wrong (mechanically, it's in fine shape), but most of the mechanics around here don't know how to diagnose PCMs aside from reading off the trouble codes. I've become so profoundly frustrated that I've basically given up on it.

c

It basically just cuts out, like the PCM forgets to open up the idle control valve or something (it behaves similarly, but of course much more extremely, when I unplug that valve). Most often when taking off at a traffic signal, it'll hesitate briefly and then just die. Fortunately, 99% of the time, it restarts quickly like nothing happened, so we have never been stranded in the middle of an intersection.

It's a 1998, and it was doing this as long ago as 2001, so basically almost from new (I'm pretty sure we got a lemon, as we've had exceptionally bad luck with it over the years; I think the only thing that *hasn't* gone wrong with it would be the seats-- they're very comfortable :lol: )

c

On 7/18/2019 at 7:57 AM, 68kMacx86 said:

So i scored one of the 1.5 GHz G4 Minis from eBay.   My goal was to have OS9 on a machine thats not so vintage that it needs recapping, but can run mid 90s titles.  

Well????  Did you get it running? Are you having fun with it?

What’s your experience so far?

Edited by jimjimx