PotatoFi

3D Print Replica HD 20 SC Enclosure?

On 5/5/2019 at 1:16 PM, Cory5412 said:

If you wanted to go totally wild, you could model and build a replica of one of Apple's various 3.5" external drives.

Not sure why I just noticed this... but that is a FANTASTIC idea. Much more viable on a desktop 3D printer, too. If someone wants to send a 3.5" external drive my way, I'd be happy to model that. Might not be very fast (my track record so far is pretty bad).

On 5/6/2019 at 12:51 AM, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

@PotatoFi Ya got SC yet? When it comes in be sure to go by the ServiceSource and remove the lid VERY carefully.

I'm ready to take it apart. Can you point me towards this resource?

2 hours ago, PotatoFi said:

I'm ready to take it apart. Can you point me towards this resource?

I thought it was here, but it's not? http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/misc/ I'll have a look around.

edit: looks like it is there after after, just listed badly as "External Hard Drive  . .>"

http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple//misc/external_hard_drive_sc.pdf

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Ran across pics from this thread whilst searching something else in "my attachments." I hope things have settled down for you at home and at work. Have you had any time to play with this project yet?

I have the drive sitting out in a prominent place where it keeps reminding me! Every time I walk by, I go, "Gah! I REALLY want to work on that!" but I just haven't been able to find the time. On the hardware front, I did get not one, not two, but THREE more 3D printers. First, a Creality CR-10, which is lacking some critical feature like automatic bed leveling, but has an obscenely huge build volume. I'll be able to print an entire case on this thing, no problem. I also acquired a fully assembled but used Prusa i3 MK3, which I'll be upgrading to a MK3S as soon as I have a free weekend. And finally... I bought another Prusa i3 MK3S kit, which is en route right now.

Short version of the story: I quit my job, and I've had a bunch of side jobs pop up that have been keeping me super busy. One of those side jobs is printing a couple hundred cases for a little embedded Linux box that we use in the Wi-Fi engineering realm (hence the sudden build-out of a print farm). So from a hardware perspective, I'm getting REALLY set up to produce some of these cases if people are interested. I just need to get some time to do the modeling for this project. Right now, the light at the end of the tunnel is mid October.

Mazel Tov! Working for yourself can be a fabulous situation. Sometimes I really miss having the shop run my life, but a full time job now seems like working part time in retirement after working 24/7/365 inside my head. If you don't mind my asking, what was the old job? From your posts it seems like you've been honing 3D modeling and printing skills toward this day for quite some time.

BTW, does an "obscenely huge build volume" translate into IIcx, IIfx or Q950 cubic? [:)]

11 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

If you don't mind my asking, what was the old job? From your posts it seems like you've been honing 3D modeling and printing skills toward this day for quite some time.

I'm basically a Wi-Fi engineer, but a bit more on the technical training/technical marketing side. I was a technical trainer at a Wi-Fi planning and surveying tools vendor. I will probably continue to do technical training in Wi-Fi, working for myself.

As for the 3D printing thing, I built my first printer in 2011. I did moonlight for Printrbot for awhile doing technical support, but other than that it's just been a hobby. :)

As for the IIcx, IIfx, or Quadra 950... not sure! I've never seen any of them in person!