boh726

Mac Plus Ticking Noise...

I recently found a Mac Plus that someone was planning to throw away. After bringing it home, it turned on and worked perfectly, except for the lack of a startup disk. After getting the startup disks and trying to put them in, I realized the floppy drive wasn't taking them.

Fast-forward a month, I opened it up, took it apart to down to the drive, and cleaned and fixed the floppy drive. When I put the whole thing back together, it started making this clicking/ticking/chirping noise, with no startup sound and a black screen. 

I've been through the whole thing, and can't imagine that it's one of the capacitors if it was just working. I looked at the Dead Mac Scrolls (of course) and both options for what is pressumable the flup-flup-flup noise dont seem be it. (The analog board is out of adjustment. The voltage is too high./The power/video cable is disconnected.)

I attached the sound, and also this piece of metal I found loose in the case. Maybe some connection. Hope someone has any idea what's going on.

clicking.m4a

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

FYI, it may not be your exact issue but a ticking noise is normal with certain 800k drives until a disk is inserted and booted. And check your brightness dial.

post-1852-0-89515600-1459536160_thumb.png

EDIT: I coud not get your file to play, but now I did. I will leave the above for anyone else searching but its not the issue with yours. You have a problem with the sweep/analog board. It may be something as simple as a cold solder joint. Check all your connections and specifically where they are soldered in.

Edited by unity

7 hours ago, unity said:

FYI, it may not be your exact issue but a ticking noise is normal with certain 800k drives until a disk is inserted and booted. And check your brightness dial.

post-1852-0-89515600-1459536160_thumb.png

EDIT: I coud not get your file to play, but now I did. I will leave the above for anyone else searching but its not the issue with yours. You have a problem with the sweep/analog board. It may be something as simple as a cold solder joint. Check all your connections and specifically where they are soldered in.

Great, Ill look into it. Anywhere specifically, or should I just visually inspect the whole thing

Would that have changed with no prompting? Where would it be and how could I test it?

Yes can go wrong out of the blue, the opto-isolator is using an Infra red diode that can go wrong with time.

more about it here:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/optocoupler.html

No way to test it, but pretty cheap and socketed.

Located near the brightness knob on the bottom left of the AB.

I would first replace the 1000uf and 2200uf caps then check to see if your connector needs cleaning. If non of that works I would check the MB to see if your tsm chip has fried I have 2 boards with dead chips. I would also check to see if your flyback is good and if any other caps are cracked ot leaky. I have.had many macs that died during working on them. The mac plus I think is by far the worst and not fun either because they are so random even in perfect condition.