LaPorta

Preferred heat sink grease

What are people using for their Power Mac heat sinks? I’m now digging into this part of my collection and wondering what is best to use.

I just used a wee dab of arctic silver I had leftover from my AMD build on my 4400's 603e—no idea what it's thermals will be, but, I'll follow up if it's immortan mediocre.

For longevity, Arctic Silver 5 is still my choice.  I'm yet to find it dried up on older builds.  Don't go the conductive stuff

Arctic Silver takes a tiny bit and works great.  Also you can get a good size container of Cooler Master Ice fusion that also works well.

How would those new(ish)-fangled carbon thermal pads fair? Could you get a standard size (for today's heat spreaders) and cut them to the small PPC die? Get like 9 for the price of 1?

603/604 CPUs don't generate much heat.

Any cheap heatsink compound made in China found on ebay will do the job perfectly as long as you don't use too much.

A 233Mhz 604e draws 16-18W.

A 604ev draws 6W at 250Mhz (die shrink).

If they get toasty it is because of poor air flow and heat buildup in the case over time (something I never seen in my machines).

I use the cheap heatsink compound on CPUs that run 125W or more and they work fine.

I appreciate the input. This would be used across the range from 601 to G4. I'll have to check out this Arctic Silver stuff.