Sign in to follow this  
jessenator

IIsi death chimes after re-cap and then worse

Got the new 40MHz oscillator installed and that was the last piece to the puzzle. Hooked up and soft-powered on:

1) chimes of death, nothing on screen
2) clt+apple+pwr : chimes of death, nothing on screen (flashes gray with colored bars on keyboard reset)
3) clt + apple + pwr: chimes of death sort of: garbled / distorted sound. Nothing on screen (flashes gray with colored bars on keyboard reset)
4) " completely garbled /distorted sound. nothing on screen See video: (flashes gray with colored bars on keyboard reset)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12fgLSUDysoQOdSuXx97JIphOYHwnKVYa

HDD spins, fan spins... oscillator is oriented correctly in my socketed setup (at least the sharp corner is in the right place).
great. What should I do to start diagnosing the problem?

Edited by jessenator

Well, I found one cold joint... C31. I'll see if I can get that one re-connected. I think that was one of the first I did.

I'm just lightly twisting them laterally with tweezers to see and that's the only one that popped loose.

Hmm. You mentioned that you broke a leg off the old oscillator; I wonder if it's possible the through-hole for it was damaged too, resulting in loss of the clock signal to some components (unless it was broken off after it was removed from the board in which case disregard this)? Also wondering if given that it worked before recapping, there were traces damaged while it was being worked on, hence causing it to have this issue after recapping. Close-up pictures of the areas around the replaced capacitors might help with spotting such damaged traces.

Well I think I see a possible problem... **** I thought I was being so careful. I'm not a complete spanner, I promise. Is is that trace below the oscillator?
pixels warning)

Yes there's a radial cap... I had to re-solder one of the SMDs and the contact snapped and I didn't want to spend $8 to ship one cap...
Top:
WQKIo7J.jpg

Bottom:
NRbyIXR.jpg

Edited by jessenator

Looks like I could test continuity at these two on the bottom, based on where the trace goes on the top.

image.png.cdcae5abd44e6b5eb7a928b8b53c7b3e.png

Edit: confirmed, no continuity

Do I bridge these two?

Edited by jessenator

It's hard to tell but I'm not sure those two vias are the ones connected by that trace.

I'd use an x-acto knife or something similar to scrape away the soldermask covering the trace, clean with IPA, tin the trace, and solder a wire on each side to jump over the cut. Don't worry about making it look perfect, it'll work just so long as there's a connection. By the way, it seems that the severed trace is also part of the CPU's data bus, which would explain why it's not working correctly.

2 minutes ago, AwkwardPotato said:

I'd use an x-acto knife or something similar to scrape away the soldermask covering the trace, clean with IPA, tin the trace, and solder a wire on each side to jump over the cut. Don't worry about making it look perfect, it'll work just so long as there's a connection.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

I was just tearing up more of the trace and so I followed continuity to a better site to solder to. I now have continuity between the two halves of the trace. The bad news is it's still nothing but a garbled screen. I fear I've done irreparable harm to the motherboard.

I did notice, too, that my PSU is making odd noises. not really a crackling, but a noise like there's something switching (not loud like the main power) or something, which unfortunately I can't replicate to record now...

I'm resigned to write it off as a failure and part it out. I have another IIsi coming my way (spoilers) and I might test with that PSU. IF that's not the issue, I'm going to part it out. I feel like such a ****ing idiot.

@AwkwardPotato thanks for all your help. I think it's a lost cause for me…maybe not for someone else. One final question I had is regarding the PSU.  Is there a way beyond putting it into a donor IIsi to test whether it has issues or not? Since I'm parting it out, I wonder if I could give assurances that it's working by testing it.

Or, will it do any harm to test it in a working IIsi?