tommijazz91

SE/30 new ROM and other things

Hello everyone!

I have a Mac SE/30 with 8 mb if RAM and a standard ROM and I would like to make it 32-bit clean, but I can’t seem to find any! Rominator has been discontinued this february, gglabs ROM is sold out, and IIsi/IIfx ROM are very hard to find. Is there anyone there willing to send or sell me a ROM and some RAM, from 32 megs and up? Unfortunately I can’t pay a lot :(.

I have installed 7.5.5 for now, and I would like to connect it to the internet (I am following the topic on the custom Ethernet card on that regard): is there anything else I can add to the Mac at a relatively low price to make it nicer and more funny to use?

By the way, does anyone have a SE/30 with Mac OS 8.1? Is it worth it to have it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am writing from Italy.

Thanks a lot!

I have Mac OS 8.1 on my IIfx and it runs well with 32MB RAM. I use it for access to a large HFS+ drive.

Normally I run my IIfx on System 6.

I suppose that an SE/30 would run Mac OS 8.1 on the slow side (assuming you had at least 20MB RAM) but would be usable.

If you have no luck, I can sell you a spare IIfx ROM SIMM that I have. PM me if you are interested.

I'm also not that far away from you (about 3 hours by train).

Edited by ArmorAlley
I shouldn't leave words out.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:13 AM, tommijazz91 said:

gglabs ROM is sold out

I am writing from Italy.

Ciao!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401442364985
Looks like they still have some. They also have the 512KB ROM version as well it seems. I thought I got the last one a few weeks back (said last one when I bought), but maybe they just have inventory issues? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Their economy international shipping option doesn't seem too much.

Edited by jessenator

5 hours ago, jessenator said:

Ciao!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401442364985
Looks like they still have some. They also have the 512KB ROM version as well it seems. I thought I got the last one a few weeks back (said last one when I bought), but maybe they just have inventory issues? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Their economy international shipping option doesn't seem too much.

Thanks, I'm looking into it!

In the meantime, I'm also looking for some RAM, but all I could find is 50€+ and seems a bit expensive! Maybe something will come up sooner or later :)

43 minutes ago, nickpunt said:

can GGlabs ROMs be programmed with the ROMinator SIMM programmer? 

From their listing:

"Flash chips can be re-programmed individually with a standard flash programmer with a PLCC-32 adapter.
The SIMM is also compatible with Doug's SIMM programmer."

Not sure about the one you mentioned.

The rominator can be tricky to setup on the se/30 as you can’t just install it on 7.5.5.  I didn’t get mine working mainly because I wasn’t prepared to wipe my drive and install different os’s in sequence just to get it to work so i do have one not used at the moment. But will attempt it again in the future.

7.5.5 is the best all round os for a none accelerated se/30 so i’d stick with that and install mode32 to add the extra ram. Others are right you don’t need 128mb on an se/30 buts its fun to have anyway and cheap enough, only downside is boot up time increases due to memory check.  As for internet you wont find much difference in what can load on a later browser wrote for 8.1 then in 7.5.5 as none will run html5.   Don’t get me wrong with accelerators pushing 8.1 would be worth a try but without mine runs lovely on 7.5.5 with 128mb ram, gets online ok and networks to my newer computers to share software.

34 minutes ago, SE30_Neal said:

The rominator can be tricky to setup on the se/30 as you can’t just install it on 7.5.5.  I didn’t get mine working mainly because I wasn’t prepared to wipe my drive and install different os’s in sequence just to get it to work so i do have one not used at the moment. But will attempt it again in the future.

7.5.5 is the best all round os for a none accelerated se/30 so i’d stick with that and install mode32 to add the extra ram. Others are right you don’t need 128mb on an se/30 buts its fun to have anyway and cheap enough, only downside is boot up time increases due to memory check.  As for internet you wont find much difference in what can load on a later browser wrote for 8.1 then in 7.5.5 as none will run html5.   Don’t get me wrong with accelerators pushing 8.1 would be worth a try but without mine runs lovely on 7.5.5 with 128mb ram, gets online ok and networks to my newer computers to share software.

Thanks, this helped me a lot! 32 or 64 megs would be fine for me I suppose.

What about the IIfx ROM? Can I just replace the old one without doing anything?

36 minutes ago, SE30_Neal said:

Owc memory was cheap enough for me: 128mb was less thsn £50

Couldn't find any on the net, although I admit I did a very quick search :lol:. I found 4 X 8 mb simms for around 45€ on eBay, but I'm still waiting to buy some, in case something new comes up.

Yes IIfx rom is rare just use mode 32 extension patch to make your standard rom 32bit clean. Macsales owc ram was only $11 per 16mb sim i think it cost me more in shipping to uk.

It worked in my SE/30 and comes with warranty and with 60ns speed quicker than the original too. I had tried some memory from ebay first but it turned out to be fake.  It was a bit more from owc but still not expensive and made tge se/30 a lot more usable than before the memory upgrade.

Each bank must have equal size SIMMs in them, unless bank B is empty. But that's not optimal.

I'd refer you to the official memory guide attached. However this was made before larger SIMMs were in the Mac user's wheelhouse. Hence the 32MB cap. The real cap is indeed 128MB with the prerequisites met.

I'm going to try the 17MB config just for kicks at some point.

Screenshot_20190224-094619.png

Edited by jessenator

I have the 128mb in mine so 8 x 16. So it was easy. Yes there does need to be added in equal pairs. 

Edited by SE30_Neal

Sorry to highjack your thread @tommijazz91, but it might be beneficial for you too...

I too want to upgrade the ROM in my SE/30 because Mode32 isn't working so well for me. I'm gonna buy a GGlabs ROM and ask them to flash the ROMs for me. All I have left to do is find the right .rom file.

If I remember correctly, the IIsi ROM works better in SE/30s than the IIfx one (I remember some users experiencing Simasi patterns at boot). So I'll probably end up using that ROM. 

But it might be useful to remove the RAM/ROM check at startup to speed things up for those of us with large amounts of RAM. There are a couple modified ROMs floating around but they have other features (Custom boot chime, logo, ROM boot etc) but I don't really want any of that. Don't get me wrong, this can be fun and useful but I'd like to keep my Mac as stock as possible (I know that adding an accelerator, a NIC, a graphics card and a custom ROM doesn't help but those upgrades could have been performed back in the day). 

So where exactly do I need to change values to disable the RAM/ROM check? I couldn't find any info online... 

Thanks and sorry again for the slight highjack... but it seems that no one else but Bolle checks the Hacks and Development section anymore.

21 minutes ago, BadGoldEagle said:

Sorry to highjack your thread @tommijazz91, but it might be beneficial for you too...

I too want to upgrade the ROM in my SE/30 because Mode32 isn't working so well for me. I'm gonna buy a GGlabs ROM and ask them to flash the ROMs for me. All I have left to do is find the right .rom file.

If I remember correctly, the IIsi ROM works better in SE/30s than the IIfx one (I remember some users experiencing Simasi patterns at boot). So I'll probably end up using that ROM. 

But it might be useful to remove the RAM/ROM check at startup to speed things up for those of us with large amounts of RAM. There are a couple modified ROMs floating around but they have other features (Custom boot chime, logo, ROM boot etc) but I don't really want any of that. Don't get me wrong, this can be fun and useful but I'd like to keep my Mac as stock as possible (I know that adding an accelerator, a NIC, a graphics card and a custom ROM doesn't help but those upgrades could have been performed back in the day). 

So where exactly do I need to change values to disable the RAM/ROM check? I couldn't find any info online... 

Thanks and sorry again for the slight highjack... but it seems that no one else but Bolle checks the Hacks and Development section anymore.

Interesting! I too am thinking of buying GGLABS ROM. Can they flash a minimal system folder on it?

At first I considered the Rominator, but I disliked the custom boot chime, and the other mod. In the end it went out of stock anyway so problem solved. And I too would like a SE/30 as stock as possible :)

I wish you guys luck. I bought mine (from their eBay store) and tried just writing them a message upon buying it now to just put the ROM on it—nothing else. No response in any fashion, so hopefully the clean SE/30 ROM is on there.

But maybe because my request was already their popular purchase configuration, they decided not to respond...

If you want a bootable system on ROM, custom icons and chime, a few useful utilities, check out this page: http://synack.net/~bbraun/macromboot.html

There is definitely a way to disable the RAM check. I should pay a little more attention to what I read... I've read through this page too quickly and missed the important part!

RAM Test
When the system cold boots (first powers on), it performs a memory test. This test was pretty quick for the small values of memory used when these systems were produced, but many 68k macs now have more RAM than ever, and the memory test can take an excessive amount of time with these larger values.
There are 2 memory test functions located at 0x467E0 and 0x468F8 in the IIsi ROM. Both functions return via JMP (A6). To disable the memory tests, I've overwritten the starts of these functions with opcode 0x4ED6, which is JMP (A6).

Edit: Okay, I've done the modifications but at the last minute I found @bbraun's post here and downloaded his version instead. I've tested it with BasiliskII, it works.

You can download it by clicking on the link below (in case the link on mac68.info disappears or something...):

iisi+nomem2.bin

I don't know what extension is better, so i've left it as a .bin but Basilisk will only take .rom files. If you want to try it out yourself, change the extension to .rom

Edited by BadGoldEagle

5 hours ago, tommijazz91 said:

Can they flash a minimal system folder on it?

Oh and yes, if you modify one of bbraun's ROMs from his website (http://synack.net/~bbraun/macromboot.html) and add your own image on it (I don't know how to do that though), you should be able to send them the updated .rom file and they'll burn that one for you (if we don't run into the same issues as jessenator that is.)