tommijazz91

SE/30 new ROM and other things

That's because you can't remove the actual chips from that board. With the GGlabs SIMM you can remove them and flash them separately if you wish or flash them as a complete SIMM with the separate board you just mentioned.

FYI I've just bought one. GGlabs has agreed to flash it with the ROM file I just uploaded. According to eBay, it should arrive before March 21st. Let's hope it'll arrive sooner than that though as I leave France (and my Macs) to come back to the UK on that day...

I'm actually a bit daft. I asked gglabs to burn a special version when their pre flashed version already comes with both RAM and ROM checks disabled. I've just sent them a message asking them to ignore my request. I hope it's not too late!

23 minutes ago, BadGoldEagle said:

I'm actually a bit daft. I asked gglabs to burn a special version when their pre flashed version already comes with both RAM and ROM checks disabled. I've just sent them a message asking them to ignore my request. I hope it's not too late!

lol That's probably why they didn't reply to me.

Earlier you mentioned changing other aspects of the ROM: startup sound, etc.. This is the Mac side I'm a noob at. I'm guessing the ROM editing process requires a modicum of programming ability. Also, are mistake easily correctable? E.g. if I was to make a small mistake, could I simply re-flash with a corrected or the original ROM code and it not have a detrimental effect on my computer? Don't want to derail the hijack, but thought I'd ask here.

7 minutes ago, jessenator said:

lol That's probably why they didn't reply to me.

Earlier you mentioned changing other aspects of the ROM: startup sound, etc.. This is the Mac side I'm a noob at. I'm guessing the ROM editing process requires a modicum of programming ability. Also, are mistake easily correctable? E.g. if I was to make a small mistake, could I simply re-flash with a corrected or the original ROM code and it not have a detrimental effect on my computer? Don't want to derail the hijack, but thought I'd ask here.

No hijack, this is getting quite interesting.

Isn't is possible to somehow ask GGLABS wether they can flash something in particular on the ROM? From what I understand they don’t reply to messages, so this could be tricky.

12 minutes ago, tommijazz91 said:

Isn't is possible to somehow ask GGLABS wether they can flash something in particular on the ROM?

Yes, you can. As long as you don't change your mind half way through like I did... They do respond to messages. I contacted them like 3 times today now and they responded very fast!

BTW, they just changed it back to their own original formula (IIsi, ROM+RAM check disabled) for me for no additional charge. Awesome seller. Will definitely buy from them again if I have the opportunity to do so!

I can't wait to try it out. 

Edited by BadGoldEagle

For those interested, BMOW has a new version of his now discontinued "Mac ROM-inator II MEGA SIMM" called the "Mac ROM-inator II Atom SIMM" that he recently released:

https://www.bigmessowires.com/shop/product/mac-rom-inator-ii-atom-simm/

At the time of this comment, it's out of stock, however if you reach out to him directly he can update you on stock. I got one of these last week for my SE/30. So awesome!

41 minutes ago, trag said:

Is that the 2MB or the 8MB version?

It's the 2MB version. I don't think the larger one is being made anymore.

3 hours ago, seanrox said:

It's the 2MB version. I don't think the larger one is being made anymore.

I think BMOW said he couldn't get the larger SRAMs any more, but he might have found more, which is why I asked.

8 minutes ago, SE30_Neal said:

I have the 8mb version but never got it work properly with 7.5.5

On the back of my board it has 2MB and 4MB with 2MB checked in the little box. I'm running 7.1. I'm pretty new to the Mac world with my SE/30. What's the advantages of OS 7.5.5 over OS 7.1?

It can run more modern software. (which most likely runs in 7.1 as well though after installing Drag&Drop and Thread Manager extensions)

Other than that I don’t see any advantages.

It is more resource hungry so I stay away from it on 030 machines.

Maximum HFS partition size is the only thing that could be a factor to choose 7.5.5 (supports 4GB partitions) over 7.1 (2GB maximum partition size)

I don’t run 7.5.5 on 030 Macs as I have yet to come across a piece of software that wouldn’t work on 7.1 and most of my drives are either smaller than 2GB anyways or are split into several partitions anyways for organization so I mostly don’t care for the 2GB limit.

51 minutes ago, Bolle said:

It can run more modern software. (which most likely runs in 7.1 as well though after installing Drag&Drop and Thread Manager extensions)

Other than that I don’t see any advantages.

It is more resource hungry so I stay away from it on 030 machines.

Maximum HFS partition size is the only thing that could be a factor to choose 7.5.5 (supports 4GB partitions) over 7.1 (2GB maximum partition size)

I don’t run 7.5.5 on 030 Macs as I have yet to come across a piece of software that wouldn’t work on 7.1 and most of my drives are either smaller than 2GB anyways or are split into several partitions anyways for organization so I mostly don’t care for the 2GB limit.

Thank you for the information Bolle. Much appreciated.

I use 7.5.5 For networking and internet as well as later desk top publishing like photoshop 4.1

i have my Se/30 online and the networking is more advanced and it also allowed a later browser that just about works in the modern world (just)

Edited by SE30_Neal

8 hours ago, SE30_Neal said:

I use 7.5.5 For networking and internet as well as later desk top publishing like photoshop 4.1

i have my Se/30 online and the networking is more advanced and it also allowed a later browser that just about works in the modern world (just)

@SE30_Neal I would love to be able and get my SE/30 online, however I don't currently have a networking card solution for my machine. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

I was lucky my se/30 (without knowing at the time) came with a network card, the seller didn’t know either as he sold my se/30 including card for £60.

it’s worth a look there’s been some inventive ways of getting them online so have a search through the site. If you have another mac you can use apple talk to a new machine as a pass through but its very slow. Best to keep an eye out on eBay for a bargain. Here’s mine online :)

3154D914-8134-4F3D-A325-541BE36D5EDD.thumb.jpeg.ca1e0ab68bd57748d154498911a86f9d.jpeg58B1E9B7-D517-413B-89F0-8720586EA5EA.thumb.jpeg.a5696ab3f02694b8e333f8f6b798e87a.jpegAE9C60BD-1212-454E-8956-954C6DDFF443.thumb.jpeg.9afb33b7740b671b32a3c1b25e44f6ba.jpeg

Very nice setup @SE30_Neal! I wish I was lucky too with my se/30, but unfortunately when I bought mine it was only the machine itself.

Last month I saw a network card go away for 45€ here in Italy, but I arrived too late :'(.

Buying one from eBay seems to be excessively expensive these days...

Does anyone have any news on the custom se/30 card being built by @jamesmilne (if I recall correctly)?