Johnnya101

Powerbook 1400cs issues

Hi all,

Recently got that huge haul and there, I found a PB 1400cs laying alone in a corner. Of course I grabbed it.

Finally got a charger for it. I plugged it in and it clicked. I unplugged it and tried again. This time, it booted. The contrast was super low, so had to adjust it. There are two black lines going across the screen horizontally. I touched the connector and it went dead. Ive since found out that it only works when the adapter is pulled upwards.

Ideas on how to fix the charging issue and the screen? Is it cheaper to just buy another powerbook 1400 and swap in my g3 upgrade?

The charging issue is likely due to the charge port having one of it's legs suffer from a broken solder joint. You just have to get to it, solder it back, and likely glue it to stop it from happening again.

Uncertain regarding the lines, unfortunately.

I'd pull that CPU card out pronto and store it. Did you say what version your 1400cs is in terms of processor speed, 133MHz? I'd keep my eyes open for a 1400c with that processor, swap the G3 into the new one and try to kill the processor card from that one in fixing up the first one. [}:)]

No idea what it is, there is no label besides Powerbook 1400cs on the LCD. Im trying to boot to my external CD ROM, to no avail. Ive added a pass through terminator, for a total of two terminators, tried with id 1 and 0, held down the cmd opt shift delete... all it ever does is stop at a blank screen with a cursor.

Right now it boots up to 8.6 loading screen and stops right at the beginning.

So pretty much this is a parts 1400? Will what Im doing ruin the CPU?

UPDATE

IT BOOTED! Left it on and it slowly loaded. Lets see whats on it...

Update 2

Everything loads so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Took like 10 minutes to boot, then 5 minutes for the hard drive icon to appear. Still loading....

Update 3

Fully booted. Took 20 minutes. Guess what? Thats right! 64MB RAM!

So, as a conclusion:

-The LCD is pretty damaged. See photos. I can even see faint squiggly lines everywhere too, not sure if thats normal.

-LCD very washed out and tinted blue. Looks exactly like photos. Faded in corners and border.

-Charger port very loose

What is my best course of action? I can always pick up a nicer 1400 for only $40 on ebay and swap everything over... What do you guys think?

lubvVGp.jpg

HExxy0Q.jpg

Edited by Johnnya101

Just listed some stuff in the trading post.

Anyone know how to safely remove the G3 upgrade card? Barely any room on the edge to lift it. Whats a good way to pack it (To prevent static)? I should have an anti static bag for it...

Got the CPU out. Used a plastic thing to wedge it out.

Now I see why the power connector is iffy. Peice of solder broke straight across. Oh well. Screen is still bad and it's missing some parts, so for parts it is.

Yep, as I said earlier, almost always the case. I can’t tell you how many radios, etc that happens to. One year I fixed all of the “broken” radios on a wing of the hospital I work at. All cheaply soldered power jacks with no glue...all the pressure on the solder joints. Needless to say I was a big hit with the nurses there.

Yeah, can't believe Apple didn't even like support the jack at all. It's just kind if free hanging. Can see why it broke.

Still, with the bad LCD and missing plastics, easier to just use for parts.

Does anyone know if the riser type screws are unique to the G3 upgrade I have, as in, should I include them in the sale of the CPU, or leave them with the Powerbook?