NE555

Macintosh IIci POST, chime, then DOO-DEE-DOO

Here is a curious issue I am having. I turn on the IIci and the board gives a chime, then a gray boot screen but the corners are still there and then the death chime comes in.
I can replace the RAM with different models and get different results. The NEC for instance give a different error than the Samsung for instance.

If I put in a ROM and leave the jumper in place , I'll get just a gray screen. With the jumper removed (which is the correct way with a ROM installed), then I will get the death march almost instantly 

with a black screen.
Due ti the fact that there is POST and the chime first, I like to think that I got a Memory SIMMS issue.
But the placement of the ROM snd resulting error makes me think that there is maybe an issue with the ROM or ROM SIMM?
What is you guy's thought on this?

Pretty sure that’s a RAM issue.

What kind of ROM are you using on the SIMM? The hacked ROMs all disable the RAM check so the Mac will just assume the RAM is good and start booting right away.

Take a closer look at the SIMM sockets if there are any corroded or bent pins.

I am leaning towards the RAM SIMMS as well. I have Single row SIMMS with the metal clips. I don't like them too much. I'll shop for double rows.
So far I have scrubbed the pins with alcohol and baking soda. Then I have touched up the solder pins . It didn't make any changes.

The IIci has 2 banks.

Put all 4 memory sticks in 1st bank (identical the better) and try that. They can be funny to try boot up with 2 or 3 sticks. You need to fill each bank up.

Also - has the logicboard been recapped?
Cheers

AP

I removed the SIMM sockets and will be replacing them with new ones. BTW 
The memory SIMMS are always to be populated by entire banks of 4. So that was of no issue.