Sign in to follow this  
jupo

SE/30s with dim CRTs

Hey, all. I have four SE/30s out of a large stash that have been in storage (long story) for years. I started going through them this week and I think all four logic boards are generally in working order after a thorough cleaning (apart from obviously needing recapped). But what seems to be new is that all four of them have terribly dim screens. I tried playing with the brightness pot on the analog board on one of them and although it did raise the brightness, it also became blurry and introduced diagonal lines unless I turn the front brightness knob back down to about half to 1/3 as bright as the Plus or SE sitting next to it.

I've been digging around but haven't seen any clear answers. I don't see visible issues with the capacitors on the analog boards, but is this where I should start anyway? Or the flyback? Or is scavenging a tube maybe from one of the SE's my only option?

Appreciate any and all advice...

No improvement from swapping everything else from a bright and clear SE with the SE/30 that was otherwise most stable. I guess it is the tubes and I was mistaken on their past status, it was a long time ago. One has obvious burn in, but the others... I dunno.

Well, dim or not, these little workhorses are going to be my first logic boards to recap regardless. I can't keep procrastinating, I've already got a Mac II with significant damage and I can only blame myself. :(