Forums

1. Important Information

1. The 68kMLA Forum Rules   (10252 visits to this link)

To quote vintage Apple manuals: "Read Me First!"

2. Community Connections

1. General 68kMLA News & Stuff

What's going down in the barracks.

Discuss your latest vintage Mac finds!

Feel free to trade all of your Mac goodies here with all honest intentions. The website provider assumes NO liability, so buyer beware! Please see this topic for more information.

3. Projects & Hosted Forums

1. RetroChallenge

What can you do given only one month and strictly "retro" hardware? Find out with RetroChallenge!
      http://retrochallenge.org/

The creation and maintenance of the 68kMLA's information repository.
      http://68kmla.org/wiki/

1. Compact Mac

Macintosh, 512k, SE, etc.

Just think, having a Quadra 950 in 1992 would be like having a Mac Pro today… except with more slots, more expandability, and on-board SCSI!

Ah, the consumer computers!

From the Portable to the 190cs.

1. NuBus Power Mac, LC & Performa

The NuBus architecture gets a new brain!

The PPC comes of age and adopts the industry standard expansion slot.

From the Beige G3 to the quad-core G5, via various iMacs!

All that power in a laptop? Never…

1. Apple I, ][, /// & Lisa

Not really 68k Macs, but certainly Vintage!

The best PDA ever finally gets its own forum!

Includes system stuff, productivity, emulation, design, and games for pre-OS X Macs!

Yes, it's back! Hardware hacks/modifications and software development for Mac OS.

Anything you can hook up to your Mac or stuff into it as an interface!

• Sounds very cool! Would it work with a Thunder IV GX?
    • Do you have an account on vtools? PM me with what you want your user name to be and I'll make you an account. We can make a folder for this in the public share, put the software there, and start comparing results.   With MacBench 4 and 5, the results are output as data files that MacBench can read later and you can generate graphis from.   A bunch of the results files are on vtools via AFP, I've put a copy of the software and some files up on my site, it was temporary but excuses to link it keep coming up: http://vtools.68kmla.org/~/coryw/macbench/   The only real reason to bench a 6200 with 68k code is to reveal what we already know: 16k of L1 wasn't enough cache for the emulator, but it would be nice to have numbers.   Good to hear that the IIvx had this happen at both ends. The Quadra 650 created this exact same consternation.   More than anything this seems like a poor ability to plan. Looking at EveryMac, the IIvi and IIvx have the same introduction date (but we've already talked about the problems with LEM/EveryMac/Wikipedia intro/disc dates not lining up and often being based on best guesses mroe than anything else) and the IIvx is actually cheaper than the IIvi (again, same deal). EveryMac also  shows the P600 as being a IIvi (not IIvx, though the P600's page correctly links it back to the IIvx, this errror has probably been in place 20+ years) variant even though the P600 has the IIvx's 33MHz CPU, so.   With this in mind, killing the IIvi makes sense unless the 16MHz CPU really costs Apple enough less to make that it's worth chopping like $500 off the price, for a $2500 and $3000 computer, but I bet that wasn't the case.   This is exactly what I mean by Apple having too many models. This issue extends really far beyond 630/6200/6300 proliferation, which was also a severe and also slightly different overall problem.   There's also the late-stage 7000 issue where the 7200/7500 and 7300/7600 were kind of side-by-side products filling two ends of a single product band for "office desktop" with and without video input, which was nominally either very low-end desktop video and multimedia authoring work or for video conferencing. In some markets (Japan in particular) the 7600 got a /200 variant.   And, there's also the entire existence of the 4400, which isn't entirely justifiable other than as a tech demo for the cloners to follow with the 6360 and 6400 kind of straddling it on either side in price and capability. And, the 5620 and 5280, which was basically a 5300 but cost-reduced with a 640x480 display to be cheaper for schools.   I suspect what it comes down to is mostly that Apple wanted to capture as much money as possible and was doing so at the expense of having a product family that was easy to understand. In adition, I suspect that there wasn't very strong/good centralized leadership within Apple at the time and for Apple in particular the product line needs to be managed holistically from the top, or from a director of all Mac products, instead of by individual product teams.
    • The ram from my quote above is about $200 for 128MB. 
        I’ve successfully put a SCSI u160 LVD with an SCA 80 to 50 pin adapter in my vintage Macs including the IIfx. I bought a new old stock unopened case of 20x 73GB IBM drives for $140 delivered. 
        if you’re interested in deploying a good, big, fast spinning drive, I can make some recommendations for you. 
    • Some more Apple goodness has found its way to me. A few days ago, a Mac ED 512Ke popped up very locally, just a few towns away, in the same municipality as me. Decided to pitch a bid, and the €40 I bid was accepted. Picked it up yesterday, the seller showed it booting to the question mark disk (it wasn't mentioned in the advertisement if it was working, nor were there any pictures of it powered on, so this was a bonus). It had a few scuffs, but I decided to take it regardless. It was an alright price, and I wanted a machine older than the other ED I had, that at some point received a Plus logic board and back case swap. Also, that "Plus ED" has the same analog board, so having a working example as a reference will be handy when I get back to troubleshooting the Plus.    Back home with the machine, and it had stopped booting, now Sad Mac'ing during the RAM test. Taking it apart revealed what I had expected, a Dove MacSnap RAM expansion. I figured something like that could have been vibrated just enough by the short car trip to no longer make good contact, as having a RAM or related IC fail after buying it would have been extraordinary bad luck. It worked without the card, and then worked just fine with it again after I gave it a quick dusty bunny removal. The MacSnap is the 524 Version 5 variant, which adds an additional 512K to the system. It looks like getting the chips needed to make this a MacSnap 548 (which adds 1.5MB to the system, which makes it 2MB total) aren't difficult or too pricey to get, I just need to see if those clip-on sockets are still readily available, as the 548 has two more than the 524.   I've taken out the battery compartment for the moment to bathe it in vinegar, as there was a leaky battery left behind. I also removed the two RIFA caps, just so they won't explode and smoke everywhere. I will replace those down the road, even though I think our power doesn't need much filtering. I did get to check the Amiga mouse adapter I built, which works just fine. I had intended to build a PS/2 keyboard adapter as well, but the cheapo Arduino clones I bought off AliExpress earlier this year never arrived, and I had forgotten about that.   More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/FMmakjK     I also received this eMate 300, which was sold as untested, without stylus or charger. A quick test with a 7.5V Sony PSOne adapter confirmed it worked, but it quickly grew angry with me as apparently the eMate can't deal with adapters supplying more than 1.2A. The PSOne adapter was a 2A, so it would constantly throw up error messages about it not being able to charge the batteries with said adapter. Guess I will have to find or banjax together a suitable adapter. I also plan to rebuild the battery pack, I already found an online store selling tabbed Eneloops which will be perfectly suited for this job.      
    • The IIvi was sold in Canada.  The IIvx came out within a few weeks of it, and sold for the same price.  Seriously, within 4 weeks anyone who bought a IIvi could have had twice the machine for the same price.  Not only that, Apple allowed retailers to discount the IIvi a very small amount, like $100 or something (can't remember specifically) but it was pretty lame.  I sold Macs back when this happened, and I knew the IIvx was coming and I couldn't sell a IIvi to anyone in good conscience.   In reality, the IIvi should never have existed in the specs it had, at the price that it was.  If they wanted to have the IIvi and IIvx co-exist, they should have been like 30% separating the prices.