Sign in to follow this  
Johnnya101

Powerbook G4 667 Airport?

Hi guys,

Been looking for a cool OS 9 laptop... and never knew that G4 powerbooks could boot it! A friend gave me their old PB G4 667...

Id love to use this at school, but from what Ive read, it can only do WEP? Doubt they use that at the school...

Also, id like to get an airport card either way for at home. Which card is the best for a G4? Will they all fit and work plug and play in 9?

I think you can do WPA 1 if you're on 10.4. For a TIbook you'll need an original airport card. If I remember correctly the slot should be under the keyboard.

You can also use a PCMCIA card.

Edited by 360alaska

Sounds about right Alaska. I'd like to keep it on OS 9 though. That confirms it though, still no way to get WPA 2 on 9.

Think I might go with an ethernet bridge route.

I was also thinking... Would an ethernet adapter to my Samsung S8 work the other way around somehow? Phone to computer Ethernet? I've seen it done computer to phone.

If you can create a wifi hotspot on your phone with no or WEP encryption, you can probably tether your PB to it. Or you could try one of those USB Bluetooth adapters and try to tether with Bluetooth, if it's an option (you'd have to look it up; I am not a Bluetooth on OS 9 expert).

The wireless bridge-to-Ethernet option is probably the best idea, though: it'll be faster (assuming you get a connection at g speeds or better), more secure, and easier to configure than these other options.

Ordered an original airport card for now to try. The school has a "public" network with no password, but it checks and verifies your WiFi address is whitelisted.

I'll update once I try that.