Sign in to follow this  
westcoastech

Color Classic and LC575

Hi guys

I have a good working Color Classic, recapped board etc. I recently inherited an LC575 but it does not turn on, chimes but no image on screen. The caps on the board have corrosion etc. I know the LC575 can be installed into a CC for an upgrade. Does anyone know if a CC board can be installed safely without any mods into an LC575 machine to test all other components work besides the logic board?

Thanks!

It sure can.  That's essentially the "Mystic" Colour Classic upgrade/mod.  Before swapping the 575 board in, you can make a small modification to your System file with ResEdit so that it starts up in the right video mode for the CC's analog board/monitor.  This won't affect booting with the stock CC board; it just changes the boot procedure when the 575 board is identified.  See item 2.1.3 on this page for steps: http://www.colourclassicfaq.com/mobo/mystic.shtml

When I did this, I remember booting from a floppy to replace the System file with the modified version, but I can't remember if that's strictly necessary.  If you have a working 575 board and don't do the edit, I think you'll get a chime but no video.

Yes it'll work the other way too (CC board into a 575). Unless you have a VRAM upgrade, though, you'll be stuck at 256 or fewer colors.

Basically, logic boards that are physically interchangeable (except for the rear I/O plate):

Color Classic

Color Classic II/Performa 275

LC/Performa 520

LC 550/Performa 550/560

LC 575/Performa 575/7/8

The Mac TV is slightly different, primarily because of the remote receiver that none of the other models had, so I wouldn't try that one.

As noted, while they may physically swap without issue, there may be a software hack required to get the machine to run properly; it seems to apply primarily when moving the 575 board down to a stock CC chassis.

Great thanks a lot guys. I mostly just wanted to see if the LC575 was in fully working condition besides the logic board, want to see if I have to fix anything else besides the board. Once I fix the LC575 board I am unsure weather I will just use it to get the LC575 up and running as it was originally or use the board as the mystic upgrade in the Color Classic