MacintoshMan1999

System Saver And Hard Drive Enclosure

Yep, that's why they're called Zero FootPrint, so all ZFP cases are very similar in all dimensions and looks. My first 1GB drive is in the ZFP form factor and was from APS. But they'd dropped "Technologies" from the branding and switched to a metal enclosure. Later on they changed up the design to what looks to be plastic boxes with feets to make CD and Tape drives stackable. They probably remained in the ZFP form factor, but I've only seen them in the magazines. Width of a 5.25" drive with PSU next to it is all but a constant as is height. Stackables became a thing from any mfr. but that was after Compacts shipped with internals.

I've got one very tall ZFP case for a full height drive, but it's too high for comfortable desktop use. A networking consultant set it up under a Plus as a server for my friend. My StudioArray cases are almost the same in dimensions, but they're set up for a pair of striped half height drives for NuBus Macs with VideoVision Studio cards inside.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini
typos

That's kind of what I figured.  I never owned a Compact Mac.  My first Mac was a 7200.  My family had the original Macintosh but I was not really into it then as we had a C64 and that was more my thing. I do find all these devices pretty cool though.

@MacintoshMan1999 Yes my case is plastic.  But it seems pretty sturdy.  I am going to hook it up tomorrow and see if it is functioning.  From what can tell from the ads of the time, it is a Quantum ProDrive ELS which were low power and pretty small.  I think between 40 - 170MB.

1 hour ago, Zippy Zapp said:

Yes my case is plastic

Alright, does it have that weird paint that the compact macs have inside them? It kinda looks like it, to me at least.

1 hour ago, Zippy Zapp said:

I am going to hook it up tomorrow and see if it is functioning.

What machine you going to use it with?

Yeah, It does have the weird paint just another color. What is it a metalized paint for interference or something like that?

As for what I am going to hook it to I have a few Macs that I could use to test it.  IIsi, LC III, 7200, 8600, etc. I actually recently purchased a Performa 200 aka Mac Classic II with orginal 80MB HD.  It is my first Compact Mac.  It seems to work, although I didn't hear any sound.  I am not even sure where the speaker is on those guys.  I took it apart and the logic board has leakage from the caps.  I removed the caps a few minutes ago and will clean up the pads and solder on new ones tomorrow.  I cleaned the board with some Isopropyl alcohol. and hopefully the sound will come back when I am done re-capping it.

Anyway, I thought about using it with that Mac, it would be period correct and all.  :wink:

7 hours ago, Zippy Zapp said:

Yeah, It does have the weird paint just another color. What is it a metalized paint for interference or something like that?

As for what I am going to hook it to I have a few Macs that I could use to test it.  IIsi, LC III, 7200, 8600, etc. I actually recently purchased a Performa 200 aka Mac Classic II with orginal 80MB HD.  It is my first Compact Mac.  It seems to work, although I didn't hear any sound.  I am not even sure where the speaker is on those guys.  I took it apart and the logic board has leakage from the caps.  I removed the caps a few minutes ago and will clean up the pads and solder on new ones tomorrow.  I cleaned the board with some Isopropyl alcohol. and hopefully the sound will come back when I am done re-capping it.

Anyway, I thought about using it with that Mac, it would be period correct and all.  :wink:

Yes, the paint has metallic properties to combat interference. Possibly to cut costs?

Does the Mac Classic II have the same form factor as other compacts?

1 hour ago, MacintoshMan1999 said:

Does the Mac Classic II have the same form factor as other compacts?

Yeah, it is very similar.  I think it is a bit more sleek compared to the previous compacts like the SE/30, etc.  But I am pretty sure the dimensions are pretty much the same.

Alright, do you know if the drive is blank? If so what's on it? If it cannot be read maybe it requires an older machine. Also try not to erase anything, there might be some treasures on there. :cool:

I don't know yet.  I got side tracked today on helping someone so I just now got finished recapping the Classic II.  Hey sound works again. bw:)  I will try to hook it up tomorrow.  I only know that it powers up and the drive spins up.  I don't know if anything is on it or not.  I will for sure check for treasures.  The Classic II I got still has the original owners files on it,  even some custom recorded alert sounds with him talking about an error.  funny stuff.

I'll let you know what I find.

18 hours ago, Zippy Zapp said:

I don't know yet.  I got side tracked today on helping someone so I just now got finished recapping the Classic II.  Hey sound works again. bw:)  I will try to hook it up tomorrow.  I only know that it powers up and the drive spins up.  I don't know if anything is on it or not.  I will for sure check for treasures.  The Classic II I got still has the original owners files on it,  even some custom recorded alert sounds with him talking about an error.  funny stuff.

I'll let you know what I find.

Neat, I like to see what someone was up to 30 or so years ago. it's very cool and entertaining. Do you know what the drive was previously used with?

3 hours ago, MacintoshMan1999 said:

Neat, I like to see what someone was up to 30 or so years ago. it's very cool and entertaining. Do you know what the drive was previously used with?

I just hooked it up to the Classic II and low and behold it popped up on the desktop, after system software 7.5 updated the driver and rebuilt the database.  It didn't have very much on it.  Best I can tell it was used with something that had System 6.05 on it as there is a system folder.  It is the 170MB model and it has 150MB free so it only had a little over 10MB used.  There was a copy of Write Now 4.0 and about 10 personal documents with someones list of stocks and assets and other stuff.  Looks like it was last used in 1997.  Since the docs have BOB in the names I assume it is Bob's old docs. :lol: I am going to browse the system folder to see if there is anything good in there but personal docs will get deleted. I haven't browsed all the folders yet but since it was a boot drive and the system software is pretty small in size I would say it was used with some model of a Compact Mac.

Edited by Zippy Zapp

11 hours ago, Zippy Zapp said:

I just hooked it up to the Classic II and low and behold it popped up on the desktop, after system software 7.5 updated the driver and rebuilt the database.  It didn't have very much on it.  Best I can tell it was used with something that had System 6.05 on it as there is a system folder.  It is the 170MB model and it has 150MB free so it only had a little over 10MB used.  There was a copy of Write Now 4.0 and about 10 personal documents with someones list of stocks and assets and other stuff.  Looks like it was last used in 1997.  Since the docs have BOB in the names I assume it is Bob's old docs. :lol: I am going to browse the system folder to see if there is anything good in there but personal docs will get deleted. I haven't browsed all the folders yet but since it was a boot drive and the system software is pretty small in size I would say it was used with some model of a Compact Mac.

Neat! Do you have any other hard drives? Or is this your first one?

3 hours ago, MacintoshMan1999 said:

Neat! Do you have any other hard drives? Or is this your first one?

I have found several old HDs over the years and found all sorts of interesting things on them.  This is the first SCSI HD I have found that was in this form factor for the compact Macs as I was never really a compact Mac user.  I didn't like B&W computers at all in those days.   I will image it as is though before I format it.

3 hours ago, Zippy Zapp said:

I have found several old HDs over the years and found all sorts of interesting things on them.  This is the first SCSI HD I have found that was in this form factor for the compact Macs as I was never really a compact Mac user.  I didn't like B&W computers at all in those days.   I will image it as is though before I format it.

Cool

My ImageWriter II has been broken for about the same time as my Mac.

The main problem is that on a lot of the older dot matrix printers there is a string that goes across under the carriage, it seems to advance the ribbon so it stays inked.

The string on mine has broke and I cannot find it sadly, so I’ve been contemplating on where to find it and I’ve come to the conclusion that I will have to buy a parts machine and take it out of it.

Heres what the print looks like:

image.jpg

Any thoughts?

Edited by MacintoshMan1999

The Mac has fixed passive termination on the internal end. Active termination can be described as a sensing, variable resistance electronics setup at the end of the external chain for all practical purposes. Can be within a SCSI peripheral, but all mine are built into terminators, but one cable harness I pulled from the enclosure of my first 1GB HDD.

6 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

The Mac has fixed passive termination on the internal end. Active termination can be described as a sensing, variable resistance electronics setup at the end of the external chain for all practical purposes. Can be within a SCSI peripheral, but all mine are built into terminators, but one cable harness I pulled from the enclosure of my first 1GB HDD.

Why I ask is because I believe there is no built in terminator on my HD enclosure and the drive itself. So I'd buy passive, correct?

by internal end do you mean the computer itself?

heres what the manual says:

image.jpeg

Yep, internal means the devices on the ribbon cable connected to the logic board.

That manual is for what? It makes my head hurt. Page 72 is fine, ignore everything on page 73. The only time I've ever seen termination required between the computer and the last device at the end of an external chain would be a passthru terminator on a PowerBook HDI-30(?) cable where you plug in a peripheral cable to connect the first device. But I've not seen everything. :lol:

Active termination is an advertised "feature," not a requirement outside of edge cases. Passive terminators are fine for all practical purposes.

Interesting, that might explain much about why that page made my head hurt. I wonder what's in the SE manual? SCSI was new to the Mac in the Plus so I wonder if the SE manual has similar info in it? I'm betting not as the Plus isn't set up for an internal HDD and so not terminated correctly at the controller for the non-existent "internal bus?" IIRC termination for the Macintosh Plus internal SCSI hack requires termination at the controller? Apple implemented proper termination on all Macs released after the Plus because all had HDDs as stock equipment or provision for adding them. So the above Mac Plus Manual recommendations would have been contraindicated /outdated.

@360alaska is what I recall about the Plus hack and wildly guess about later Mac implementations correct?

Mac Plus termination might make an interesting addition to @trag's SCSI Voodoo HowTo.?

No time to nail any of this down ATM, little help from the boffins?

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini
typos

Yes, assuming your HDD isn't terminated.

To re-complicate matters: that's a passthru terminator, it could also be positioned on the top (outlet) connector of the enclosure as in the next illustration. That's where you'd install it or a terminator block at the very end of the chain for highest efficiency. That's how internal UltraSCSI cables are set up. A fixed terminator is located a few inches past the last connector on the ribbon cable. I prefer the closed ended block terminator type because they look like they're plugging up the end of the chain.

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Interesting, that might explain much about why that page made my head hurt. I wonder what's in the SE manual? SCSI was new to the Mac in the Plus so I wonder if the SE manual has similar info in it? I'm betting not as the Plus isn't set up for an internal HDD and so not terminated correctly at the controller for the non-existent "internal bus?" IIRC termination for the Macintosh Plus internal SCSI hack requires termination at the controller? Apple implemented proper termination on all Macs released after the Plus because all had HDDs as stock equipment or provision for adding them. So the above Mac Plus Manual recommendations would have been contraindicated /outdated.

@360alaska is what I recall about the Plus hack and wildly guess about later Mac implementations correct?

Mac Plus termination might make an interesting addition to @trag's SCSI Voodoo HowTo.?

No time to nail any of this down ATM, little help from the boffins?

When installing my SCSI mod, it is only terminated by the SCSI2SD. I'd imagine that if one had other external scsi devices to connect one might need to remove the scsi2sd's termination.