Sign in to follow this  
dcr

Apple 800K External Drive

Is the Apple 800k External Drive the same as the Macintosh 800k External Drive?  Wikipedia only has a little information on it and there's no mention of the Apple 800k External Drive, only the Macintosh 800k External Drive and doesn't have a photo of the bottom.  So I'm wondering if they are the same.  I would sort of expect it to have Macintosh on the label but maybe not.

Yeah, they both use the same mechanism, but the Apple 800k drive has extra smarts in it so it can talk to the Apple II drive interface. I think it also has a passthrough port on it for daisychaining another drive (it's disabled when the drive is used with a Mac, I think).

c

Okay, so M0131 is called the Macintosh 800k External Drive but does not have "Macintosh" anywhere on the drive or label?

From what I can gather, the Macintosh 800k External Drive (M0131) was released in January 1986 along with the Macintosh Plus.  In September 1986, Apple released the Apple 800k External Drive.  Did they continue producing the M0131 after that or did the Apple 800k drive replace it?

The Macintosh 800k drive I have appears to be the platinum version (the cable appears gray) so either Apple produced some platinum M0131s prior to releasing the Apple 800k drive or they were making both drives after the switch to the platinum color scheme.

I have not found a discontinued date for the M0131.

They may have sold both at one point, but the Apple 800k drive was just a much better drive.  It was also compatible with both Apple IIs and Macintosh computers.  I could imagine Apple selling the Macintosh 800k as the "low cost" version just for Macintosh computers, with an option to "upgrade" to an Apple 800k if you worked in a mixed environment of Apple IIs and Macs like at a school.

It's too bad there aren't better records for this stuff.  I think we've been spoiled by the Internet where lots of things can be looked up.

This one will probably end up primarily being used on my Mac Plus once I get its display working again.  Trying to get everything era-appropriate as possible.  I think the Mac Plus is a beige model which places it in 1986 (most likely).  The drive is questionable since it appears to be platinum.  Of course, I have no idea when the Kensington System Saver came out (whether it was sold in 1986 or not) so I may be messing up the era-appropriateness with it.

53 minutes ago, dcr said:

It's too bad there aren't better records for this stuff.  I think we've been spoiled by the Internet where lots of things can be looked up.

There are better records for this stuff. You need to think about it. Where was all this stuff published? In the magazines.

Check Macworld or MacUser.

1 hour ago, Dog Cow said:

There are better records for this stuff. You need to think about it. Where was all this stuff published? In the magazines.

Good point.

Too bad TidBits didn't start until April of 1990.  That was my source of Mac news for a long time in the 90s and they have an easily searchable archive.  Here's one I found on the discontinuation of the Mac Plus: https://tidbits.com/1991/08/19/adios-mac-plus/

The Apple 3.5" Drive likely superseded the Macintosh 800k drive after it was released. Going by the number of drives out there today, the Macintosh 800k drive wasn't sold that long. At that point Apple had several machines with differing DB-19 pinouts and the logic on the daisy chain board in the new drive was designed to accommodate it, thus making it "universal". There was also a push within Apple to make all their peripherals compatible with both the Apple II and Macintosh.

I looked a little while ago and my Mac Plus is a 1987 model.  A least, the copyright date is 1987.  I don't know that they would have changed the copyright date every year unless they had copyright-able changes, so I am guessing that could mean this Mac Plus was made anytime between 1987 and 1991.  So my setup won't be completely accurate to 1986 anyway.  I suppose that also means this is a platinum Mac Plus whose age has made it look beige.

On July 19, 2018 at 5:58 PM, dcr said:

I looked a little while ago and my Mac Plus is a 1987 model.  A least, the copyright date is 1987. ... so I am guessing that could mean this Mac Plus was made anytime between 1987 and 1991.   I suppose that also means this is a platinum Mac Plus whose age has made it look beige.

I'd say the copyright date of 1987 marks the switch to Platinum. You could check the barcode on the bottom of the case; it should have the manufacturing date code there.

On 7/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, Dog Cow said:

Magazines are great and I comb through MW and  MU regularly, but with a roughly three month lead time from “press time” to the date on the cover, tracking down precise dates can be really frustrating. Usenet articles are better for the moment to moment stuff. 

On 7/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, dcr said:

This one will probably end up primarily being used on my Mac Plus once I get its display working again.  Trying to get everything era-appropriate as possible.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about this too much. While it's true that the M0131 might have been discontinued fairly early in the production life of the Plus it is arguably the "correct" drive (from an aesthetic standpoint; the later drive has that extraneous-on-a-mac eject button) to go with it, and even if was discontinued the day the A9M0106 came out (to accompany the IIgs) it's perfectly feasible to imagine that someone buying a Mac Plus in 1987 might end up with an old stock one. One came with my Mac Plus, which I *think* is Platinum cased, although it's so yellowed I can't say for sure.

If I were setting up a Plus "museum exhibit" I'd definitely go with a M0131 given the choice.

On July 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Dog Cow said:

I'd say the copyright date of 1987 marks the switch to Platinum. You could check the barcode on the bottom of the case; it should have the manufacturing date code there.

There's no barcode on the bottom or anywhere on the drive.

On July 24, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Gorgonops said:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about this too much.

I'm not too worried, especially since discovering the Mac Plus is a 1987 model, not 1986 as I had thought.

Thanks everyone for the info.  It would be nice to know just for record-keeping, but I don't think there's going to be anyway of accurately determining when this drive was actually made.

3 hours ago, dcr said:

There's no barcode on the bottom or anywhere on the drive.

Right, I meant check the bottom of your Mac Plus.