GeekDot

Quadra 950 PSU died... <cry>

Hey gang,

I could cry like a baby... Restaurated my Q950, cleaned it, gave it a nice retrobright sunbath, tidied-up the A/UX installation and being annoyed by the loud fan, I went for the final step replacing it with something more silent and while at it, I gave the PSU a good blow of fresh air to undust it.

Power-on and..... bzzzzzzt, poof, holy smoke. The PSU went the way of the dodo :cry: (Nope, the polarity of the fan was correct) - Only god knows if it was the undusting or just about time to die...

So here's my request for help:

a) How do I get that damn PSU opened?! All screws removed and it's clear that there are 2 case parts sticked together but they don't move a bit :-/

From the outside I can see a bursted varistor near the back-end of the PSU. So that's where the smoke came from...

b) Does anybody know where to get a new Q9xx PSU preferably in Europe (given its weight)?

Thanks for helping & Cheers, 

Axel

Plenty of space to throw a standard ATX PSU inside the shell of the original PSU together with the logic to get soft power to work.

That‘s my plan B in case the WGS95 PSU blows.

I had my unit open for de-dusting. You have to remove all screws and then slide the two pieces apart somehow which then will let you hinge them open. There are PCBs on two sides of the PSU and you won‘t be able to completely open it without removing wires connecting both halves.

Thanks for helping everyone!

1 hour ago, Bolle said:

I had my unit open for de-dusting. You have to remove all screws and then slide the two pieces apart somehow which then will let you hinge them open. 

That somehow is what troubles me. I huffed and puffed and and... got a cut in my finger :-/

@Bolle: Is the logic for the soft-power (tickle) on a separate board? That would render the ATX PSU replacement into a real option.

So while @Unknown_K's hint "open it up and see" is a good one I'm still stuck at "open it up" - and I don't want to ruin the case (too) or get more cut fingers.

Is it possible that I have to somewhat pull out the wire harness going to the mainboard-connector?

A long time ago I had a Q950 with a PS that went dead. So I looked around a long time and found a guy with a couple 950's he wanted gone an hour drive away. So I got the 950's for free and I removed the PS from the dirty one (other one was a new WGS95) and put it in the dead unit and it fire up. Just for fun I put the dead PS into the donor unit and it also fire up. Since they both worked (and still do) I never bothered to look into it further.

Old power supplies can act weird and some part smoking is not the end of the world. I did open up my supply to get to the fuse but that was a decade ago and I forget what was involved in opening it up.

For such a massive overpowered, well ventilated PSU (akin to that in a server), the Q900/950 PSU seems to have some weaknesses.  Bolle's idea to shoehorn an ATX PSU in the case once it dies is excellent.