smrieck511

Best options for SSD in MDD G4?

Looking to upgrade to SSD's if possible. Sorry if this has been covered before. Any particular things I should look for? I know they are IDE. Thanks for any help.

If you get a SATA PCI card then it will give you a few internal SATA ports allowing you to use any standardized SATA SSD drive. If you use a 2.5” laptop drive you will need an adapter to secure it to the mounting bracket.

IDE SSD drives seem rare and more expensive for the same size as a SATA variant.

i went with the SATA card in my Beige G3 :)

Edited by just.in.time

I recommend a IDE-to-SATA converter along with a SATA SSD. I believe that is the cheapest route, since IDE SSDs are expensive, and so are SATA PCI cards that are bootable.

There are also PATA to MSATA SSD adapters.    MSATA cards are a little pricier than 2.5" format SSDs, but it's an elegant solution.    If you have trouble finding an appropriate adapter, check sintech.com.   I see a lot of adapters that look identical to theirs, so I don't know if they make them or if everyone buys from the same Chinese supplier.   Let me rephrase.  I'm pretty sure everyone buys from teh same Chinese supplier.  I'm not sure if that supplier is Sintech, or if they're one more of the buyers.

But they have a fairly exhaustive collection of adapters listed on their website.    And after you find the model you want/need, searching for that part number at Amazon and Ebay is often successful, which is helpful if you do not wish to purchase directly from Sintech.

I think the big challenge for any type of PATA to SATA adapter is getting one that supports setting Master/Slave on the PATA side.   

This one is about twice as expensive as other similar adapters, but it clearly states that it has a Master/Slave jumper:  http://a.co/gaN2hiq     The only disadvantage to it in the MDD is you'd need a 2.5" PATA to 3.5" PATA adapter too.

Thanks everyone. I’ve got a ProTools system on this Mac so all of the PCI slots are occupied. Sounds like an IDE to SATA converter is the best option.  I definitely want to run OS 9 on this so does this even work for that operating system? And if so are there any specifics to avoid in the choice of drive? I think iOS 9 can only see a certain amount of gigabytes anyway?

If you want something that comes with warranty, the OWC Legacy line is great, I have a few of them and they work real well in MDDs. They are technically SATA to PATA conversions via MARVELL controller. 

ACARD used to have a really nice PATA to SATA drive sized adapter, but it has become absurdly priced these days. 

SATA to PATA or PATA to SATA (never sure which end is which) adapters do not care about OS.   They're just collecting bits and sending them in chunks, or taking chunks and streaming them out as bits.   The SCSI to IDE adapters don't care either, as they're just translating commands between the two protocols and making sure the bytes appear when they should.

I do not think that warranty is really an issue.  The pricey item is always going to be the SSD, in whatever form.  The adapters are cheap.    Unless you buy it in a back alley,, you'll have a warranty on the SSD from whatever source.

I haven't looked in a while, but there was one brand of SSD (one of the kind of big brands) that consistently got about 3 stars, while other brands did considerably better.   I wish I remembered which it was.   They kept going on sale, and I'd get excited, then check the reviews, then change my mind and wait for something else to be on sale.  

Lots of people like Samsung.   I've had good luck with Toshiba and OZC or is that OCZ?   In any case, Toshiba bought them, so it doesn't really matter although a year, year and a half  ago they were still available as a distinct brand.  

Anyway, in general, I like the reviews at Newegg.   They're usually better organized (Newegg doesn't list multiplie related items under a single reviewable listing as often) and the Newegg reviewers are, on teh average, more technically sophisticated than the Amazon reviewers.   Newegg has also started listing multiple capacities of a single drive under the same listing.  This is a pain, because the reliability may be completely unrelated amongst capacities.

49 minutes ago, trag said:

you'll have a warranty on the SSD from whatever source.

Just as long as you don't have to deal with Samsung, their RMA process is a mess. I have had to RMA a few mSATA drives due to overheating failures and it always is a chore. The reliability has improved on their newer line of mSATA drives. 

18 hours ago, trag said:

SATA to PATA or PATA to SATA (never sure which end is which) adapters do not care about OS.   They're just collecting bits and sending them in chunks, or taking chunks and streaming them out as bits.   The SCSI to IDE adapters don't care either, as they're just translating commands between the two protocols and making sure the bytes appear when they should.

If  a SCSI to IDE adapter is that "simple" might SATA to PATA to SCSI be wedged at some point to interface with the CPLD(?) on the SE/30/10/100 card? With limited I/o pins available, the serial nature of SATA has had me thinking that it might the easiest way to pipe the info to the 68030 at PDS or socket level.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

I looked through the command tables for SCSI and IDE at one time.  Creating a translation device is non-trivial.   It's just that if you do, it's not going to care or know what OS is sending the commands.

The first photo is not consistent with three of the other photos.     The third photo shows a Master/Slave jumper under the power connector on the PATA side of the board.    The first photo has no jumper and no pads at that position.    Leaves it ambiguous whether the adapter actually comes with that feature.  In two of the other photos you can see evidence of the jumper in one form or other.

Without Master/Slave settings or Cable Select support, you'll be limited to one drive per PATA bus.

So, the eternal Ebay question.  What are they actually shipping?

Edited by trag

9 hours ago, trag said:

The first photo is not consistent with three of the other photos.

The first photo appears to be correct, but cropped.

I've used many adapters like those. Even the cheap ones seem to work just fine at high speeds (100 MB/sec).

The mirrored drive door G4 systems can handle drives of any size. They're not limited at all to 128 gigs.

Edit: I looked at those pictures again. Perhaps the first one isn't correct... But any that says it has master/slave selection will be fine.

Edited by johnklos

I have a PCI card with a SIL3112-chip (Sonnet Tempo, I think) in my B&W and it's running an SSD.

It is quiet, needs no drivers and it leaves more space to aid airflow inside the B&W.

Send Bolle a PM, he mentioned a while back that he had some PCI SATA cards for sale.

Thanks again. PCI card is not really an option since the slots are occupied. Also I seem to remember OS 9 not supporting drive sizes over a certain amount? Not doing OS X on this machine.

Edited by smrieck511

Sorry about that. I had skipped over your post about the Pro Tools.

IDE-to-SATA is one option.

How about IDE-to-CF? Get yourself a couple of IDE-to-CF adapters and a few 64GB CF cards.

On another note:

Are all 4 PCI slots filled with Pro Tools?

Is there a breakout box for Pro Tools that would allow for the use of more PCI slots?

I have seen them on sale for NuBus systems and also for Avid PCI setups.

I'm not familiar with Pro Tools, so I don't know if this would be either affordable or suitable.

yeah all four slots are occupied. For now I’m going to try the IDE to SATA adapters....I’ve also got three SanDisk X 100 SSD drives. 128 GB each and the 2.5 to 3.5 mounting adapters… Hopefully it will all work. Of course I’ve got a boot CD to format everything.

The 128 GB limit in OS9 is only on some machines' built-in EIDE busses.   Also, some of the older PATA cards have/had that limitation.   Many of them (PCI card vendors) fixed it with firmware updates.   AFAIK, only ATA-66 cards were old enough to have the 128 GB limit.

There was an issue with the built-in EIDE bus on some Apple machines only supporting 8GB or less for the boot volume.

However, any 100/133 PATA and certainly any SATA card will not have the 128 GB limitation.

All irrelevant, of course, because you have no PCI slots available.

My concern with the above-linked Ebay adapter is that the written description does not mention a Master/Slave jumper nor Cable Select support, and the pictures contradict each other on that issue.

Specifically examine the pictures for a Master/Slave jumper.   You will only find one in the 3rd photo.   Once you've found that though, you can then see parts of that jumper in that position in two of the other photos, though you cannot read the labels in those other photos.   However, on the first phot, that jumper should be clearly visible at the righthand end of the adapter, under the power connector.  And it is not there.

Edited by trag