PB145B

SCSI zip drive

I would highly recommend against using the Iomega driver and use the patched version of Apple's HD SC Setup, since not only will the disks be bootable, but you'll have a lot less issues using the disks in systems that don't have the Iomega driver.

Zip drives and their disks are extremely handy as recovery tools, not just moving data back and forth. My learning experience was somewhat documented:

http://reukiodo.blogspot.com/2015/09/howto-install-mac-os-8-from-zip-disk.html

Edited by reukiodo

55 minutes ago, reukiodo said:

I would highly recommend against using the Iomega driver and use the patched version of Apple's HD SC Setup, since not only will the disks be bootable, but you'll have a lot less issues using the disks in systems that don't have the Iomega driver.

Thanks for the suggestion! For now the Iomega driver is working out great for me, but if I need to make a bootable disk I’ll definitely give this a try!

I got 2 of these scsi zip drives myself and it’s been revolutionary for me being able to transfer software from my performa 6200 which is online (so macintosh-garden) to my se/30. Plus something lovely and nostalgic about the little blue zip. And you can buy a scsi to usb adaptor if you want.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, SE30_Neal said:

I got 2 of these scsi zip drives myself and it’s been revolutionary for me being able to transfer software from my performa 6200 which is online (so macintosh-garden) to my se/30. Plus something lovely and nostalgic about the little blue zip. And you can buy a scsi to usb adaptor if you want.

Yeah, these SCSI zip drives are definitely extremely useful!

As I said in an earlier post, those SCSI to USB adapters are extremely hard to find for a good price. Most of the ones on eBay are ridiculously overpriced. And, even worse yet, people seem to actually be paying those prices!

If you want USB zip you are better off going with an actual USB zip drive. 

3 hours ago, PB145B said:

As I said in an earlier post, those SCSI to USB adapters are extremely hard to find for a good price. Most of the ones on eBay are ridiculously overpriced. And, even worse yet, people seem to actually be paying those prices!

If sales are completed at those price levels, by definition, the items are not overpriced. Lot's of stuff on eBay really is overpriced, then it doesn't sell. If you can, make offers, sometimes you get lucky that way. I'd like a SCSI Zip 250, but they sell way out of my price range. :mellow:

I love Zips, been using them since the beginning. They have their detractors around here.

3 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

If sales are completed at those price levels, by definition, the items are not overpriced.

Yeah, I mean overpriced in that they are probably made in China for a buck or two.

Supply and demand can be a beyotch. :lol:

@reukiodo: loved reading about your 9500 build. Love the trio, I've got two, but haven't tried them in anything but the 6500, which is apparently unsupported. :p

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Supply and demand can be a beyotch. :lol:

Yeah, they do actually seem to be in relatively high demand because there is quite a few of them that have sold on eBay. There was also one that only went for $21! Wish I’d have seen that!

I really enjoy using the zip drive something about it i like, i have 3 (2 x scsi, 1 x parallel). Yes what is it about the silly prices for those  scsi to usb thats not just supply and demand its just silly

1 minute ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Got a link to the adapters you're talking about?

Just search “SCSI to USB” on eBay. There’s a whole bunch of them.

Not trying to one-up you, but today I scored a SCSI zip 100 with 17 'new' (still wrapped) disks on CL for free - it was listed at $1, but he gave me a discount. It came with the box, docs and install disks for PC and Mac and an extra, narrow SCSI cable.

No carry case though...

Edited by Juror22

48 minutes ago, Juror22 said:

Not trying to one-up you, but today I scored a SCSI zip 100 with 17 'new' (still wrapped) disks on CL for free - it was listed at $1, but he gave me a discount. It came with the box, docs and install disks for PC and Mac and an extra, narrow SCSI cable.

No carry case though...

Sweet!

Keep in mind, if you plan on booting from the zip, don't put your boot zip disk in a macintosh running 8.0 or up as it will throw a newer driver for the zip onto the disk and then you won't be able to boot it on the system 7 or lower machines.

Not sure if PC's have that problem, but a G3 sure did.

EDIT: This is if you used the iomega driver.

Edited by markyb86

Never know that, to honest I brought sustem 7, 7.5, 8, 8.1, 8.6 & 10.4 on CD-ROM encase of crashes 

boot floppies for 7, Stuffit, CD-ROM & zip drive encase i need them

Edited by SE30_Neal
Maje change

5 hours ago, markyb86 said:

...don't put your boot zip disk in a macintosh running 8.0 or up as it will throw a newer driver for the zip onto the disk and then you won't be able to boot it on the system 7 or lower machines

Thanks for the advice - I've got a crazy mix of machines, so I'll keep that in mind.

Here's a little bit more about the subject of booting (from http://mammola.tripod.com/tips.html#Zip drive)

You need to use an Iomega Driver older than version 5.x. Otherwise you get a sad Mac when booting. You also can NOT allow your zip disk to be loaded in a machine with a 5.x driver, 'cause part of the driver will update itself, and give a sad Mac when booting with a zip disc in the drive.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:38 PM, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

They have their detractors around here

Fair warning: Zips "Are the least reliable storage technology to come out of the '90s" might be a more accurate way to put this. ;)

I've got intent to build out some more storage option KB pages that shows some of the ephemera/miscellany mentioned here, but for a few different types of storage devices. One of my vintage Mac projects of late has been working with some Iomega Bernoulli 230 megabyte stuff, and that requires a specific driver.

The reliability and design problems the Zip has will eventually be documented on those pages. Being well-informed is important. For the moment, probably this is the best post for information about zip disk unreliability (among other things), there's other tidbits in the thread it's in.

30 minutes ago, Cory5412 said:

Fair warning: Zips "Are the least reliable storage technology to come out of the '90s" might be a more accurate way to put this. ;)

I’ve definitely had my fair share of trouble with Zip drives. About three months ago, I had two drives fail just days apart from one another.

But that being said, I do still really like Zip drives and for old machines I think they are fine.

Haven’t had any issues with my SCSI Zip drive so far.

21 minutes ago, PB145B said:

Haven’t had any issues with my SCSI Zip drive so far.

As a former Zip drive fan, that was the camp I used to be in.  I think people tend to be fans of Zip drives until they have a good reason not to.

I used to use my Zip drive heavily in the 90s.  I heard of problems but never experienced them.  But once you experience them, you experience them.  One thing that was discovered later on is that a bad Zip disk in some cases can ruin a good drive.  Fun.

All of my external Zip drives are dead.  I remember buying a Zip drive on eBay once.  I was in the process of copying all my Zip disks to a hard drive to be burned to CD.  The drive read two disks before it died.  I think the next one I bought only read one.

I have had the best luck with internal Zip drives that came pre-installed in Power Macs.  Those are the only functional Zip drives I still have.

I have two disks (so far) that I cannot read at all.  I hope to save up enough extra money someday to send them to one of those expensive data recovery services in the hopes they have some way of salvaging the data.  Doubtful but I keep my fingers crossed.

The only reason I would buy a Zip drive anymore is to get data off a Zip disk.

If you want to experience 90's tech, they're fine.  It was this thing that was like a thick floppy disk that had enough space to hold the equivalent of like 75 floppies or something.  That was pretty cool.  And they were smaller than and held more data than the 40MB and 80MB SyQuest cartridges we had used before.  It was rare that a customer ever gave us a SyQuest cartridge.  Zip drives were popular and we used to receive Zip disks from clients quite frequently, often with a sticker that read "Please return to . . ."  So they're good for that authentic 90's experience.  But make sure any data you put on them is backed up on something else that's not a Zip.

You'll love Zip drives until you learn not to.

5 minutes ago, dcr said:

But make sure any data you put on them is backed up on something else that's not a Zip.

Absolutely. I would never trust any old media to hold the only copy of something important.

I still love using the zip, yes i think its a nostalgia thing Especially the blue machine itself. I use 2 of them for copying from my PowerPc to my Se/30. Great fun to use, have CDs as well as floppy but the zip make it easy to move several files.

neal