Von

SE/30 Power Supply: Recap or ATX?

JDW, Thank you so much for your help here.  I really appreciate it.  I watched your Analog board recap video and it was awesome, helped me out a ton and I learned a lot!

Edited by thxkbye

@thxkbye

Thank you for your kind words.  I am actually putting the finishing touches on a new Analog Board recapping video right now, which focuses on the Mac 128k~Plus.  It has an interesting section that shows what a bad Flyback transformer looks like in the dark, so stay tuned for that!

1 hour ago, thxkbye said:

I was able to buy a SSP-250SUB, it ran me $78 with shipping.

Higher than $49, but much cheaper than $109.  Do you have a link to the seller?  It might prove useful for some people, since I've not yet heard back from Seasonic.  Thanks.

Either will work as an SE/30 PSU.  I must say though that is the first vendor I've seen who is selling the 300W at the same price as the 250!  Wow.

Back to square one looking for a PSU.  That ithardwarehub cancled my order, said the PSU was broken then raised the prices to $250.  Avoid!

I am considering my options now and just getting one off ebay...

If it is indeed “broken,“ how then can they write raise the price to $250?

Still no reply yet from Seasonic Taiwan. :-(

I think im going to try to get an SE with a Sony PSU since I already have the cap kit and back burner the ATX until a source becomes available.   I have a feeling ordering a PSU from china right now is going to take a long time.

Sorry for all of the posts, but I have been thinking about this issue with sourcing a PSU for the SE line, and thought of something.  I was thinking about other devices that I have used that would likely have a small form factor PSU inside in the range we need.   I thought the original xbox might be worth looking at, they made ALOT of them and that machine likely uses an ATX PSU but it is only a 98w psu.   Working with that idea in mind I was looking at the Playstation 3 PSU fat and slim models, as well as the Playstation 4 and Xbox One console PSUs  These parts are very cheap and readily available. 

Here is the wiki which shows all Playstation 3 PSU specs.   https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Power_Supply#Power_Supply_Unit_.28PSU.29

Also there are a number of mini-itx power supplies out there as well.  What should I be looking for besides at least 250w with a 12v and 5v rail?

Use the SONY CR-44 PSU as a frame of reference for the voltages and minimum Current output you will need:

+5V: 6.0A

+12V Sweep: 1.25A

+12V Disk: 2.1A

-12V: 0.5A

Sweep and Disk are not isolated, so you could drive both with a single +12V power line rated at 3.35A or higher. And no, a -12V line rated at 0.3A is not acceptable, in my opinion, since the -12V line of the SONY is 0.5A.  Even if a power supply has +5V, +12V and -12V outputs, if the current for any of them is lower than described above, it would be unwise to choose such a replacement power supply.

Another benefit to the SONY CR-44 PSU is that it's complete fanless, unlike any replacement PSU you may be considering (including the SEASONIC).

5 minutes ago, thxkbye said:

One of the comments below that product listing says this:

...this thing sounds like a harrier jet about to vertically take off

Physical size is another issue to consider:

• RP-FLEX-350W = 193mm x 152.4mm x 58.4mm
  • SEASONIC SSP-250SUB = 150 mm (L) x 81.5 mm (W) x 40.5 mm (H)

We know the SEASONIC fits nicely inside the metal PSU enclosure of the SE & SE/30, and using that enclosure is nice because it has the power switch built-in along with the power plug.

17 minutes ago, thxkbye said:

... i would replace any fan with a noctua fan, which are usually extremely silent.

Yes indeed.  You can see and hear a 60x25mm Noctua in my SE FAN VIDEO here.

Going to see about an SE dual floppy tomorrow. I hope it has a Sony PSU inside, i'll use the cap kit on it and hope i can get a ATX solution for it sometime down the road. It's only 30 bucks, id buy it even if it didn't so its worth a shot.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't get near cheap PC PSUs like that with a long stick.  Super generic, and not UL listed.  So if it burns your house down that might be a problem.  I would recommend getting a FLEXATX PSU from a reputable brand.  I would get an SE/30 PSU from eBay.  You can get a sony one for about 40 USD, and recapped, it shouldn't be a fire hazard.

I picked up this SE today for $30.   Owner said he had not tested it had no plans for it.  But it had a black power switch, it powers up and attempts to boot so at least i can use it to work on my SE/30 while I work on getting an additional PSU.  I have the Sony cap kit so I will do that immediately. Look forward on finding a quality ATX solution with you all.

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

Ah, the memories!  I worked as a repair tech for MicroAge in Fresno, CA during my senior year in high school in 1989.  The SE was still being sold then, but the hot item in the store I gawked over was the lovely IIci!  Totally unaffordable for me at the time ($6k+ retail), but boy I wanted one.  Ultimately, I ended up buying a IIvx in '93 with a college student discount -- a machine Apple notoriously killed off only months later.  A year after that, I recall spending $1,000 of my hard earned pennies on a Quadra 650 logic board upgrade for it, which made it a very usable machine.