Cloaked Alien

Repair question: 1.4mb superdrive

Correct. The main issue with the drive was that it was totally seized. 

I tore it apart according to guides, cleaned it and lubed it.

Mechanically it started to work fine after that. But it refused to read disks. To the best of my knowledge it had that issue before. But when I tore it apart yet again I probably got to rough with it because now the head doesn't drop. So I figured I either bent something or caused something to come loose.

So if it's broken it's no big deal, because it didn't read disks to begin with, but I have to check if there's any chance to salvage it =)

Also, if you take the heads out (undo the two setscrews holding the little bar it slides on and pull the two ribbon connectors, making note of which one goes where) and look at them from the front, you should see a spring inside. It's likely that spring got stretched a bit. There are three pairs of little indentations where the spring hooks, each a little farther apart. If you move the spring to one of those sets, it increases the tension, and then the head should close like normal.

c

I have seen these springs bend too far if you over-extend the headstack during removal, and if that happens it wont close all the way. SOMETIMES you can bend it back down with force but its really easy to knock the cylinder alignment out and once you do that, game over.