JDW

Modern PSU for the SE/30

@Crutch Did you measure voltage levels (specifically, the 5V line) at the Floppy connector and at your internal HDD power connector when you had your Turbo040 inside?  I ask because in my experience, prior to my epic blunder which caused my Turbo040 to stop working, I would only get freezes with the Turbo040 when there were software incompatibles.  That's a lot of software that just locks up with an 040 but which works fine with an 030 processor.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, ants said:

@Crutch your solution of wiring the soft power of the Seasonic to the original switch is very elegant - I wish I had of read your post in more detail before I did my upgrade!

That is how I wired mine as well. The only downside though is I'm still hesitant to leave the computer plugged in when I'm not using it. If I had wired the PSU AC power to the physical switch I probably wouldn't think anything of it as turning the Mac off would mean it's off, full stop. 

38 minutes ago, superjer2000 said:

...If I had wired the PSU AC power to the physical switch I probably wouldn't think anything of it as turning the Mac off would mean it's off, full stop. 

That's how I have my SEASONIC wired.  When the mechanical switch is flipped OFF, the PSU is 100% OFF and has no possibility of ever going ON.  I didn't think anything negative about doing it that way since that is basically how the stock PSU works.

There's definitely pros and cons of both methods. I think for a novice like me, wiring the soft power would have been easier and less scary. I guess I'm just paranoid!

Although I was wondering how hard it would be to get the soft power running to the power key on the keyboard?!?

Does someone have an exact wire configuration list/drawing from the Seasonic PSU ATX connector to use in the SE/30 connector? I've seen JDW's video but I'd just rather not make a mistake will attempting this upgrade.

Thanks.

The closeups of my Seasonic PSU ATX connector in my earlier post on this topic (Nov 25 2018) may give you what you want.  The colors are ATX standard: yellow = +12v, red = +5v, black = common, green = PS/ON, blue = -12v.  Of course it’s also very easy to just power the thing up and test each pin with a meter to make absolutely certain (this is what I did...).  Also see this helpful link from Von: http://bylenga.ddns.net/index.php?page=SE_ATX.php 

6 hours ago, Overlord said:

For a fee, would someone be willing to wire up one of these for me?

If I lived in the US, I will would be more than happy to do it, but since I live in Japan the 2-way shipping cost would be cost prohibitive.  But since many of our forum members live in the US, I have no doubt that someone will probably stand up and offer to do the job.