Sign in to follow this  
Innes

PC Cards for Powerbooks

Hi. Just wondering if PowerBooks needed specific PC cards or Drivers in order work with them. Index like to get a USB 2 card for my Pismo but im not sure if I get a generic one whether I'll be able to make it work.

Any and all advice is appriciated, I know sod all about this

Cheers!

Yes, there is a small subset of PCMCIA cards that work with Mac, with the right drivers.  Many were rebadged from PC (network, USB, wireless), provided you find the right model number and possibly revision.

The generic USB 2.0 PCMCIA card should work out of the box (in OS X, and you'll need the standard Apple USB drivers under OS 9.x), provided it's OHCI compatible.  It'll run @ USB 1.1 speeds under OS 9.x

So far, on my Wallstreet PDQ, a Sony PCWA C150 (not S version) is recognized and works on macOS 9.2.1 through Airport utility. The utility shows all nearby hotspots. It is an 802.11b card with up to WEP encryption I believe. 

I also got a “hide away” 2 USB port PC Card that works with it, on macOS 9.2.1 and 10.1. Logitech wireless mouse works normally with Mouseware installed. 

On my 550c, I got the PCWA C150 recognized on macOS 8.6, but requires drivers, so it does not work. But at least it is recognized. Also got a Memorex PC Card compact flash adapter that works well on the 550c, even on macOS 8.1. Haven’t tried it on my Wallstreet, but I don’t think there would be any problem.