SE30_Neal

Circuit diagrams/re-cap analog and power supply

After family illness and work commitments my Se/30 project had been left for the last 18 months, I’m now back and wanting to give my little mac the attention it needs and get back to my classic computer hobby. Anyway I’m after recapping the analogue board and power supply. Would like to get some detailed circuit diagrams, component kit (if possible) and some assistance on what to out look for i.e other components I should look at replacing whilst im at it. Any assistance would be greatful. :)

I’m also getting a slight shimmer on the screen when cold but as it hasn’t been used bar the odd lemings game in the 18 months and think the recapping of thise boards should help with this, note motherboard already fixed.

neal

Edited by SE30_Neal

Firstly, I am glad that whoever was ill is now well again.

I don't have an component kit and to be honest, I have my own SE30, a IIsi and a Quadra 950 to work on myself. I have not done analogue boards and power supplies but if you've done those, which are usually more crammed with parts than a logic board I think you have the skills needed but you clearly need some help with that symptom. I wouldn't know offhand what it causing it but needless to say, it is recommended that you recap the SE30 logic board.

This should be a good reference: http://www.maccaps.com/MacCaps/Capacitor_Reference/Capacitor_Reference.html Maccaps lists the parts needed for cap replacement. I emailed him once for some info on recapping the SE/30, he had this to say "First of all I don't suggest you use tantalums they are not the right cap for the pads I suggest organic polymer or I suggest mlcc of the package size 1 206".
 If you look up those terms or email him at hardwaremack@gmail.com I am sure he can provide a little more help. I had already bought tantalum caps and they are at home in a box waiting for installation but I've been too busy.

I am going to post some books in PDF by Larry Pina, he had some excellent books back in the day that I think are really helpful, it might help you find the symptom and resolution.

The_Dead_Mac_Scrolls.pdf

Mac_Classic_&_SE_Repair_and_Upgrade_Secrets.pdf

Neal, if you need more help, please let me know, I am always happy to help others. I am just not sure if my answer was all that great and I want to make sure you are really helped out as much as possible. I know what it's like when I have questions, some of them rather ignorant.

Just let me know

—Alex

6 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't have an component kit and to be honest, I have my own SE30, a IIsi and a Quadra 950 to work on myself. I have not done analogue boards and power supplies but if you've done those, which are usually more crammed with parts than a logic board I think you have the skills needed but you clearly need some help with that symptom. I wouldn't know offhand what it causing it but needless to say, it is recommended that you recap the SE30 logic board.

This should be a good reference: http://www.maccaps.com/MacCaps/Capacitor_Reference/Capacitor_Reference.html Maccaps lists the parts needed for cap replacement. I emailed him once for some info on recapping the SE/30, he had this to say "First of all I don't suggest you use tantalums they are not the right cap for the pads I suggest organic polymer or I suggest mlcc of the package size 1 206".
 If you look up those terms or email him at hardwaremack@gmail.com I am sure he can provide a little more help. I had already bought tantalum caps and they are at home in a box waiting for installation but I've been too busy.

I am going to post some books in PDF by Larry Pina, he had some excellent books back in the day that I think are really helpful, it might help you find the symptom and resolution.

The_Dead_Mac_Scrolls.

6 hours ago, powermax said:

I would highly recommend the Badcaps Powersupply Troubleshooting Forum.

There are some high qualified techs around there helping to identify old and obscure components and giving precious advises on replacement parts. They have helped me to revive my Astec PSU (from PowerMac 6100), see this thread.

thanks powermax, much appreciated 

Neal

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Thanks Alex, thenight did sorted my motherboard out for me 18 months ago and did a great job but shipping to the states and the import tax doubles the cost from uk so i thought I’d have a go myself on the analog board and power supply as I thought its a good way to get to know the little machine as i think if you do those 2 things the slight shimmer will go. Thanks for the info I’ll drop the guy an email and a get a kit and whilst its in bits retrobrite the case

If you are in the US and are looking for somewhere to buy capacitors and such then try mouser.com or arrow.com. I believe the latter can ship from the US as well.

On 24/03/2018 at 9:32 AM, Alex said:

The_Dead_Mac_Scrolls.

On 24/03/2018 at 10:06 AM, powermax said:

There are some high qualified techs around there helping to identify old and obscure components and giving precious advises on replacement parts. They have helped me to revive my Astec PSU (from PowerMac 6100), see this thread.

Neal

Thanks Alex, thenight did sorted my motherboard out for me 18 months ago and did a great job but shipping to the states and the import tax doubles the cost from uk so i thought I’d have a go myself on the analog board and power supply as I thought its a good way to get to know the little machine as i think if you do those 2 things the slight shimmer will go. Thanks for the info I’ll drop the guy an email and a get a kit and whilst its in bits retrobrite the case

Hi @SE30_Neal!

The screen on one of my SE/30s can have a 'wobble' now and again... I'm assuming it means an analogue board recap for me too. It's not top of my priority list though - too many projects at once. I will however try and get to replacing UE8 on my other SE/30 ASAP. Luckily I have a friend with a hot air gun which should make it a lot easier for me to remove the faulty chip and put one of the replacements I got recently in.

PS hope you've received that copy of OS 8

On 24/03/2018 at 9:32 AM, Alex said:

The_Dead_Mac_Scrolls.

On 24/03/2018 at 10:06 AM, powermax said:

Neal

Hi James,

thanks for getting in touch, not arrived yet probably tomorrow although I’m unlikely to use it for a few weeks as i have a new hhd and ram from the states coming for my performa plus a ordered a crt and keyboard for it from eBay with your disc that should get that up and running and upto spec. Ive also been buying stuff like external CD-ROM, modem, zip drive, AppleTalk cables spare floopys plus and a new 1 gb hhd with 7.5.5 on it, 128mb of ram and rom-inator 2 for the se/30 so within the 3-4 weeks I should be able to be able to get them networked up together, then with a bit of work run them via my macmini with 10.4 Tiger on it. I know it will be a challenge to do all that but i want to get everything up and running so i can play games, use old software, learn C programing on it and use my se/30 to email from so i have a lot to do over the next few months.  

Yes i get a little shimmer on the screen about 5 minutes then goes again, i think the analogue board and power supply just need a refresh to keep it tip top so i’ll order all the caps and get that done too over the next few months lol ever since i gave up alcohol my nerdy side has kicked in!