xboxown

My mac lc III cannot detect my scsi dvd-rom

Hello,

I am using system 7.5.5 and I hooked an external scsi dvd-rom model pioneer dvr-5201 LaserMemory and to no avail my OS cannot see it or talk to it. I have hooked it in both top and bottom port of the scsi port to no avail. I even have terminator on/off and still fails. The ID is set to 4 and I have no idea to how to change it physically. Any idea how do I get this working? I have like 1 GB worth of stuff I really want to put inside of it but i cannot because the OS cannot see it. Help anyone!!

You need a specific version of the Apple CD-ROM extension.  Also, I highly doubt it will work with a DVD, because it is larger than 4GBs.

I have an issue getting the driver into my mac lc III. Here is my problem, I downloaded a general cd driver in hopes this will solve it..but since I cannot get my mac online and I cannot get my mac to detect the scsi third party dvd player...now what? Now how do I solve this problem??

Nah it wont recognise SCSI DVD, only CD ROMs, its because DVD was brought out after those macs were available.

You might be lucky to get Apple CD extensions from Mac OS 8.1 or 8.5/8.6 then pop it in your current system folder.

Might be a pain - floppy disk is best to start off with, unless you have an Apple CD ROM with built in System will load up.

Cheers

AP

Yes it should unless you don’t have CD-Rom drivers, that said I’m sure you can find one cheaper somewhere else. Heck, I’ve been selling Apple external CD drives for $50. $100 is too much. 

Wait!!! Can I buy an external scsi apple cd drive for my mac lc III? If so...can you please post picture link for me? What would I get with the picture?? CAN I PUT AN ORDER???! I want it to work in the fly with my mac lc III!! Can you put the driver in a disk that I can install directly into my mac lc III? I want it to be plug and play..just hook this cable here, hook that cable there...stick the disk in my mac lc III..install driver...reboot and poof I have a working cd drive! Can you do this for me??! QUICK send me link and I would like to have an INVOICE! COUNT ME IN THE PURCHASE!!!

1 hour ago, ArmorAlley said:

FWB CD-ROM Toolkit is very useful for CD-ROMs and CD-Burners not supported by the standard Apple driver.

That's the software I was trying to remember!

I was reading this thread and remembered there was a "universal" CDROM extension but I just couldn't recall the name.

There also used to be an extension floating around called CD Sunrise, with which I had good luck back in the day.

For DVD stuff:

If you can get full UDF support installed under system 7.5, the HFS volume limit shouldn't apply because DVDs are generally UDF volumes. I would confirm how you burned it, but ultimately putting that information on CDs may be easier, even if the mechanism itself does work, it would be better used with a newer machine that can run an OS that has better built-in support for DVD ROM/RW/RAM media.

I use my Apple CD 600 together with the Apple Legacy CD to boot and then install the Mac OS.  I used it last week with an LCIII.