Tango Niner

PM 8600/200 Startup Annoyance

Hi all,

Been having the following problem for a few months now. Prior to that, I had no startup issues.

Here's my procedure to get my PowerMac 8600/200 up and running:

1) Hit soft Power button on keyboard.

2) Hear normal startup chime and HDD/fan spinup.

3) Watch as nothing, I mean nothing, comes up on the monitor.

4) Roll eyes, wait 5-10 seconds just to be sure that nothing's happening.

5) Hit CMD-CTRL-Power on keyboard.

6) Normal startup chime, monitor wakes up and a normal startup ensues.

I've tried doing CMD-CTRL-Power at step 1, but nothing changes.

PRAM battery is only a year old or so.

Any thoughts / fixes / suggestions?

Cheers,

T9

Disable startup memory tests - hold down command + option while double clicking the Memory Control Panel, there will be a check box.  Also reset PRAM.

Thanks Byrd, but still troubleshooting.

I zapped the PRAM, no help there; and I tried to disable the startup memory tests, but as I recall that might be an option only on "later" vintage Mac OS'es? I tried it under both 8.1 and 7.5.5 and no checkbox appeared. I don't have any later OS's installed on the machine at the moment.

During the startup memory test, don't you at least see the "clean sheet of gray" pixels on the screen? I don't even see that. I just get the chime & the HDD & fan spinup. The monitor doesn't even wake up.

I have this problem on a Quadra 700... and it comes up from time to time, which is why I suspect a flaky video card but it seemed like I was able to truly zap the PRAM by using TechTool - for some reason it appears to be a more complete zap or complete wipe of that space vs. maybe a less aggressive version built into the boot ROM (Cmd+Opt+P+R). I also have this problem on a beige G3 (no video) where I think it's still doing the memory test but I'll actually hear the system beep I hear when it either hasn't shut down cleanly or it's auto-mounted a network share. But Open Firmware has a different course of action, I was just sharing possible causes.

Try TechTool to zap and restart? You can even save to a file and restore, not that there's anything to save if you've already trying zapping via keyboard (and it would probably restore any corruption anyway)

Have you got any PCI Cards in it?

My 8600 does that sometimes - It will boot at 2nd cycle power on and I think its the SCSI card I have in it that needs to be woken up/powered up.
Cheers

AP

Did you find a solution to this?  I have a PowerMac G3 Beige tower that does the same thing.  It always takes the 3 finger reset after first power on to startup and then it works fine.  This one came to me with battery damage that I repaired.  This G3 also has an aftermarket ZIF CPU upgrade that I have not yet identified.  It has a rotary switch, and I don't have an original 266mhz CPU to test it.