MacFox

Firewire 400 CD Burner for iBook G3 on OS 9?

Hello,

So I would like to be able to burn CDs from my iBook G3 dual USB with Firewire 400 port running OS 9.2.2.  Will any Firewire 400 drive work or will only specific ones work?

Thanks

I'd stick with external drives from manufacturers that catered to Mac, which would mean Sony, any drive sold by LaCie, a QPS Que!, or an Iomega.  While a generic drive "should" work I've had issues with them in Toast on 9.2.2.  If you're game enough to want to take apart your iceBook to upgrade the internal drive, more power to you.  To call it a tedious process would be putting it lightly, but at least the combo drives are still available quite inexpensively on eBay.

I'll keep what you guys said in mind.  I looked up the instructions to upgrade the internal drive and I don't think I'll be going that route.  I actually tried using a USB 2.0 external dvd/cd burner on the iBook, but it didn't work.  I'm guessing the drive either isn't backwards compatible with USB 1.1, doesn't work on Mac, or the USB ports didn't provide enough power.  That's why I'm looking at Firewire instead of USB.  With that said, I did actually see a Memorex USB CD/DVD drive at my local drug store that said it was Mac compatible (didn't specify an OS version) and "backwards compatible with USB 1.0". I would've bought it if the box wasn't damaged.

Yep, the USB ports aren't going to provide enough bus power to run an external drive.  Found that out when I was trying to do a data migration using one of those handy USB to IDE cables and the drive wouldn't spin up until it was plugged in to a powered USB hub.

The FW drive I use is a Sony DRX-720UL and works great under OS 9.  There are a bunch on eBay at present so you don't have to spend as much as the one I've linked below (that's just to show the box).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112174717909

12 hours ago, EvilCapitalist said:

Yep, the USB ports aren't going to provide enough bus power to run an external drive.  Found that out when I was trying to do a data migration using one of those handy USB to IDE cables and the drive wouldn't spin up until it was plugged in to a powered USB hub.

The FW drive I use is a Sony DRX-720UL and works great under OS 9.  There are a bunch on eBay at present so you don't have to spend as much as the one I've linked below (that's just to show the box).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112174717909

Thanks for the tip.